Gourami Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nickcmanning

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My girlfriend and I recently updated to a 20 gal tank from our 10 gal, and we're thinking of keeping the 10 gal instead of giving it away to a friend. She is really into gouramis, but we can't put any in our 20 gal because we already have a decent number of fish in it. Kissing gouramis are her favorite but I heard they are territorial and need a decent amount of space. Any ideas on if gouramis work well in a 10 gal, and if so how many and which species would be OK?

Thank you!

I would guess a single dwarf gourami. Maybe a honey sunset? Or a powder blue? Someone with more experience will chime in. The pic is my dwarf, he shares a 20 with a few tetras and hatchets.

My girlfriend and I recently updated to a 20 gal tank from our 10 gal, and we're thinking of keeping the 10 gal instead of giving it away to a friend. She is really into gouramis, but we can't put any in our 20 gal because we already have a decent number of fish in it. Kissing gouramis are her favorite but I heard they are territorial and need a decent amount of space. Any ideas on if gouramis work well in a 10 gal, and if so how many and which species would be OK?

Thank you!
A Dwarf MAY work, but I have had bad experiences with them, they tend to die easily...

honey gourami max out at 3 inches and they have reddish goldish bodies, i think they are even cuter than dwarfs :)

I like flame G, they look like saltwater with there orange body's and blue fins but only one as they fight

image-166161479.jpg

We have 5 of those flame g in a 5 ft tank and they get in fine

kissing gourami can grow to half a foot and they need at least 20 gallons for them to be truly happy

Try looking up some of the minature gouramis. Sparkling Gouramis only grow to about 1.5-2" they might work for a 10 gallon!! There are several minature gouramis available in the hobby.

My kissing gourami was 6 inches the last time I was able to check, he can be a bully but my fish that are kept with him stay out of his way so he leaves them alone, 48 gallon tank.

Kissers can reach a foot so a big no for them. As said, look into sparkling gouramis, croaking gouramis, chocolate gouramis or even a betta (same family). No rams belong in a 10g tank.

I'm pretty sure that rams and dwarf gouramies can be kept together however I think they need to be in a 30 gallon heavily planted tank or larger of kept both together.

Back
Top Bottom