Gourami tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

krissssssy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm thinking of setting up a 2nd tank and having just gouramis. I have a male dwarf gourami who is pretty aggressive and I'd put him in the new tank. Can I put other types of gouramis in with him? Are there ones better suited than others?

Male gourami are likely to be aggressive toward other gourami. You could possibly do a trio of 2 females and your male, but part of that depends on what type of gourami he is and what size tank you are planning for him.

I too would only do one type of gourami a male and 2 females. Chances are if you would get other types of gourami to add with your male you'd have an aggressive mess to deal with. There will be some who will tell you they keep a lot of gourami together in their tank without aggression issues but just remember what works in one person's tank may not work in another. If you want a 2nd tank I'd think about leaving your DG in the current tank and finding another type of gourami, like Pearl gourami's for example, and get a trio of them.

Are pearls less agressive?

IMO Pearl gourami's are one of the more peaceful ones but remember any gourami could end up aggressive if you get one with a bad temperament. I like the overall temperament of Pearls and Honey gourami's.

Back
Top Bottom