Gourami Trouble

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gourami guy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just got three gouramis for my 30 gallon tank one week ago, one is a pearl gourami who is female and the other two are opaline and platinum. The platinum gourami mercilessly chases around the opaline and nips its fins. This is stressing out the opaline so he can't develop his deep blue colors.
Any suggestions?

Being back the platinum? Sometimes you get an overly aggressive one

You always run the risk of aggression when housing multiple gourami's especially in a small tank. IMO the best thing to do would be returning the aggressive one. You could try removing the aggressive one, adding a bunch of plants, real or fake, being sure some are very tall to break the line of sight in the tank, then readding the aggressive fish. This "sometimes" works. It's a 50/50 chance if you want to try.

The aggressive gourami is probably a male so returning him would be the best option.

:thanks:thank you, can I just have two gouramis and will gouramis bother angelfish?

Gouramis can be pretty aggressive. They might bother your Angels. It's definitely a risk. Generally gouramis and cichlids are incompatible.

:thanks:thank you, can I just have two gouramis and will gouramis bother angelfish?

As already said it "might" work. I've kept Pearl gourami's with Angels as I've found Pearls to generally be more even tempered. Dwarf and Honey gourami's I've kept with Angels and have that combo now. Keeping two large species gourami's again "might" work. It just boils down to each fish's individual temperament.

You can try what I said about rearranging with him out of the tank or rehome him. It has to be your choice.

I think I will rehome him if anyone wants him around cinci you can have him.

Back
Top Bottom