gourami's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

T Fades

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi All,

I have an 80fw community (soon to be planted) tank. It will be home to

20 cardinals,
6 glass cats,
1 bristlenose pleco,
5 cory cats,
2 fancy guppies

I would like to add a gourami or two to the mix. I heard it may be bad to have 2 of the same gourami's (such as 2 male Pearl Gouramis).

What is your experience with having 1 male Pearl Gourami, and 1 male Dwarf Neon Gourami? Will they fight for territory, or leave eachother alone as they are different kinds of gourami's? Also, will the Gourami eat my Cardinals?

Also, what is your opinion on how 1 Rainbow fish will do with the above fish as far as compatibility? I really want my tank to be super chill.

Thanks.
T Fades

I think that a rainbow fish would be fine in with your fish selection. But remember that they are active fish (you said you want a chilled tank). As for the gouramis 2 pearl gouramis would be fine together, same as for the 1 pearl gourami and 1 dwarf neon gourami. Sometimes they will fuss at each other but in a 80g with all the space and with it being planted with places to break the line of sight and making places to rest and hide they will be fine even if they don't like each other.

O ya they won't eat your gouramis, not that i heard of atleast.

I would stay away from the Dwarf Neon Blue Gourami. They are a notoriously weak strain of Gourami, and the dwarf gourami's in general that are coming into the US right now are often stricken with Dwarf Gourami disease, Google it. And stay away from it.

If you want your tank to be super chill I wouldn't get two male Pearl Gourami, even in an 80 gallon tank. I have an 80 gallon tank, it ain't that big. Mature Gourami are known for their aggression, and I've had three males, it wasn't fun. Why bother when you can get two females or one male and one female? They are easy to tell apart. The male will have orange on his throat. I now have 1 male and 2 females, peace and harmony...ahhhhh.

You didn't state what kind of rainbow fish you're thinking of, but I can't think of any that would be good as an individual. The vast majority of rainbow fish are schooling fish and wouldn't thrive as a loner.

Ok, thanks Nippy.

I will either just get 1 male Pearl or maybe 1 male and 1 female Pearl.

T Fades.

Back
Top Bottom