gouramis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BakerBoy17

Aquarium Advice FINatic
How many can I put in a 75 gallon tank? I just put in four. And a school of tiger barbs wouldn't be very smart to put with them is it?

You can have Tiger Barbs with Gourami's I've seen it in a few tanks and I had a couple Gourami in my tank a few months back, the Tiger Barbs never bothered them after the initial fin nipping to find out what they were.

It's just that Gouramis are weird ... they tend not to tolerate other Gouramis in their space, so a tank with decor, DW plants etc helps to establish territories and break up the line of sight. I had a Gold and a Blue and the Gold bullied the other constantly to the point I had to rehome the Gold ... btw the plants and DW etc in my tank didn't help .. go figure.

A couple of months later ... the blue ended up becoming the tank bully ... yep ... in a tank full of Barbs ... the Blue Gourami was the bully because it grew to 3 inches.

Oh wow. Well I have blue and gold ones and they love eachother..... for now. But ill add my school of six tiger barbs in there

Oh wow. Well I have blue and gold ones and they love eachother..... for now. But ill add my school of six tiger barbs in there

A male and female is usually fine as well as two females ... at least from what I've heard. Well ...turns out both my Gouramis were female ... was supposed to be ok ... but apparently not ... at least in my case:nono:. My Gold started to bully the Blue by the second day and by a week ... it was constant harassment!:facepalm:

If one hasn't bullied the other by now ... assuming you've had them for a few days / weeks then I think your ok. I'd say go ahead and add the Barbs ... Gouramis are one of the few fish that can stand up to Tiger Barbs.

Oh no I just got them today. My first experience with them. But so far they're kind of school? Weird I know. But I hope they get along

Oh no I just got them today. My first experience with them. But so far they're kind of school? Weird I know. But I hope they get along

Give it a few days and just keep an eye on them ... if they both came from the same tank ... your probably ok. I got the blue first ... then about a week later the gold. So ... the two Gourami didn't "know" each other. Not sure if it really makes a difference.

Good luck! Keep us posted!

It is a huge experiment in fishkeeping when dealing with gouramis. All mine are peaceful but I have heard pretty bad stories from others. My gold got along with my two male DGs for quite a while.

Good luck! :)

No they weren't in the same tank. But I got them at the same time and they haven't fought yet. They were in the same bag and everything.

bruinsbro1997 said:
It is a huge experiment in fishkeeping when dealing with gouramis. All mine are peaceful but I have heard pretty bad stories from others. My gold got along with my two male DGs for quite a while.

Good luck! :)

Thank you! I was gonna get some GBRs but I don't think they would get along

Alright thanks! But would an african leaf fish get along with them? (gourmais)

seekinghealth said:
Alright thanks! But would an african leaf fish get along with them? (gourmais)

I have no idea. I think you should research African leaf fish because I have gotten conflicting information from hobbyists and books alike.

Alright. It would probably be a hastle anyways. Them being so shy and what not. I would have to buy more plants. And all I have is fake ones right now.

Before I added my cichlids to my tank I had four gouramis (two blue and two gold) and ten tiger barbs. The gouramis will fin chase one another about four times a day, but otherwise they swim peacefully together. When they don't feel well everyone retreats to their separate corners to rest and they are back to normal within a few days.

I have four in there but my tiger barbs are in a different tank. But I've heard that you can keep angels with gourmis and that you can't. What would you do? I'm kind of thinking about trying it and if it doesn't work out just take the gourmis out and put them in my 32

Alright. It would probably be a hastle anyways. Them being so shy and what not. I would have to buy more plants. And all I have is fake ones right now.

A species-only tank is usually recommended with the African leaf fish since they can be shy and will eat small fish. Gouramis would probably work but like the others mentioned...keep an eye on those gouramis. Sometimes they are peaceful but they can be very territorial when they want to be.

Alright so no leaf fish..got it. And ok I will! I haven't checked sex yet for then either

I have a gourami with angelfish and have not had any problems. They generally ignore each other. With a tank your size, there should be plenty of room for both. Idk that I'd risk putting barbs with angels however.

Ya my barbs are staying in my 32 gallon. I have a guppy with them and they don't both him. Haha I guess cause they grew up together

I also have an angelfish and a pearl gourami in my 55g and they don't bother each other. It very much depends on the fish and tank setup though. My gourami tends to swim with my school of barbs instead of being territorial. My angelfish and barbs also get along, but they're Odessa Barbs.. with tiger barbs I wouldn't risk it, those are some nasty little guys.

Back
Top Bottom