Gouramis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CCantu357

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi new to site and need some advice. Have had a Opaline Gourami with two small angels for some time now. Added a smaller Gold Gourami yesterday and now the Opaline seems to be bullying the Gold around. Any advice on what to possibly do? So far all the info I've found has suggested removing one but thats not really an optinon for me.

:welcome: to AA! :)

Hi new to site and need some advice. Have had a Opaline Gourami with two small angels for some time now. Added a smaller Gold Gourami yesterday and now the Opaline seems to be bullying the Gold around. Any advice on what to possibly do? So far all the info I've found has suggested removing one but thats not really an optinon for me.

If you can't remove them I really don't know what to do for you. Gouramis are known to be aggressive to other gouramis, and this is one of many examples of it. You can try singling out the gourami and keeping him confined for a day (it worked for my aggressive molly) or try heavily planting the tank to break lines or sight, or getting a bigger tank. But that's not fool-proof. How big is the tank? Any other fish in there?

Does your tank have a lot of plants (living or fake)? Or at least a lot of places to run to? I recent lost 3 of 5 honey gouramis because of bullying. They only thing I can suggest is giving them lots of things to hide near or in.

I have this exact problem, i have a gold gourami who was bullying my other fish so I bought a blue gourami thinking the gold gourami would be less aggressive if she had another of her own kind. That plan backfired and now all day long the blue gourami chases the gold one around, but they seem to ignore the other fish so I guess it kinda worked out-ish....

It is a 37 gallon with 3 plants. Some people have also told me that having more females to male ratio has something to do with the bullying as well.

Thanks for the help. That would explain the behavior of the opaline gourami. Hopefully a second female will fix this and add some variety to the tank

I have 2 dwarf Gouramis male and female I think that I added to my tank today that won't stop chasing and pecking at each other. The female hides in the corner behind the plant now but still try's to come out now and then. They don't pick on the other fish. But maybe it is because the are in a ten gallon tank. I am thinking I have to take one back is my only option unless I wake up and a merical happens and they get along. I read on most sites the 2 would swim together and be happy but nope lol.

I have 2 dwarf Gouramis male and female I think that I added to my tank today that won't stop chasing and pecking at each other. The female hides in the corner behind the plant now but still try's to come out now and then. They don't pick on the other fish. But maybe it is because the are in a ten gallon tank. I am thinking I have to take one back is my only option unless I wake up and a merical happens and they get along. I read on most sites the 2 would swim together and be happy but nope lol.

Gouramis in a 10g tank seems like a bad idea to me but I'm no expert. Given how mine reacted in a 75g I would say get one out as fast as you can.

you cannot keep 2 male gouramis in a single tank. They are related to bettas!

The only way I can see 2 male gouramis working is IF
1) the tank is larger than 40 gallons (20 gallons per male gourami)
2) there is multiple hiding places and plants to create several territories.
3) there are several female gouramis in the tank to diffuse the aggression (1 male: 2 female ratio)

And even this is not a full-proof plan.
Gouramis are unpredictable.

Interesting. I'll try and that and see if it works. What's the best way to distinguish male and female?

I'm pretty sure the male has a longer dorsal fin that is pointed on the end whereas the female has a rounded dorsal on the end. BTW had the same problem myself with two gold gourami - bigger one killed the smaller one, no problem (ouch). :O

Back
Top Bottom