Gouramis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishlover5297

Aquarium Advice Activist
Are gourami's good community fish? And will they be peaceful with tetras and bristle nose plecos?

They are very peaceful fish as long as you keep just one in the tank. They can be territorial against other gouramis and will often fight with each other.

They should be. I really don't care for them to be honest. They're hit and miss. How big is your tank?

I'm upgrading at Christmas and don't know what size yet i just wanted to know if they were peaceful and compatible with the fish I already own

A lot depends on the temperament of the individual gourami. Males IMO tend to be more aggressive IMO. Over the years I've found Pearl and Honey gourami's to be the most peaceful in my tanks.

Part of it depends on the particular gourami species. Any of the 3-spot/Trichopodus trichopterus color morphs (Opaline, Gold, Blue, etc) are a bit more on the fiesty side, while the Pearl or Moonlight Gourami are way more mellow. That said, if you keep a group of females even the 3 spot morphs tend to be fine. I have a mixture of 3 spot morph females with one pearl gourami female and they leave all my fish alone, including my guppies, juvenile threadfin rainbows, etc.

I have a female opaline gourami and she is as peaceful as can be with my other fish....mollys...corys...and danios. Hope that helps

Back
Top Bottom