Gouramis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeff2k

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey people! I was just wondering your take out my tank situation.
I have a 50 gal tank with 3 angel fish (2 small and 1 large) about 12 cardinal tetras, 7 rosboras, 12 guppies, 1 albino plecos, crapload of snails (can't seem to get rid of them all) and just recently today my uncle gave me a 3-4 inch golden gourami. Now I have heard they are agreesive, so I was wondering if you guys think its ok if I keep the Gourami in the tank. As of right now its been in there for about 2-3 hours and its not picking on any of the other fish (but the large Angelfish for some reason is nipping on the Gourami, the large angelfish I have in there keeps picking on the other angels and now is picking on the gourami too. It doesn't touch the other fishes though). So what do you guys think I should do? I more worry about the goruami then the other fishes. I have a big coral like scrupture that the other fishes hide in that the big angel fish and gourami can't get into, so that will at elast provide some sanuctuary for the other fishes. You guys think the Goruami will be ok?

-Jeff

The only thing I have to say is try putting him in. Keep a close eye on the tank.

I've heard various species of gourami's don't get along with other fish. I've heard they get very aggressive when they get older/bigger.

I currently keep two blue gouramis and a dwarf gourami in my community tank, and things are okay. As long as the fish are somewhat the same size.

Good Luck and let me know how it goes!!!

It seems, through talking with others in this forum, that the bad guy when it comes to gouramis is the flame gourami. No one seems to have any problems keeping others.

The gold gourami has more of a problem getting along with other gouramis than other fish. He should be fine in a community aquarium....especially one of that size where he can establish a "place of his own"

Gouramis Forever

I'm not sure who told you that Gouramis were agressive. I have four of them and they are wonderful community fish. The only aggression they show is towards each other. Actually, if you wish, why not add a second Gourami? They're beautiful fish!

TL

talenz....there are some gouramis that are aggressive. You are correct, however that a lot of the aggression is towards other gouramis. I had to get rid of 2 kissing gouramis cause they were beating up everything in my tank. Shawmutt...I heard that flame gouramis are the worst as well.

All of the anabantids are generally intolerant (not necessarily aggressive) of each other, save for a few liek the chocolate gourami. However, if your tank is large and well planted then there won't be much of a problem as territories can be set up easily. The bigger problem will be when the angels start eating the cardinal tetras.

Back
Top Bottom