Gouramis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
your tank is a pretty decent size so you could get probably 2 males in there and they would be able to establish their own territory.

AshleyNicole said:
your tank is a pretty decent size so you could get probably 2 males in there and they would be able to establish their own territory.

Well, maybe and maybe not. My office is a lot bigger than that, and me and the rest of the males here are constantly fighting over territory.

:lol: :lol: :mrgreen: .

I guess as long as you don't introduce females you can keep 2 of them. But beware! Most dwarf gouramis are really crazy and might be more or less aggressive. So you can always just try.

yikes i was hoping for better news.... o well. My pwoder blue jsut looked amazing against the plants and black sand so I naturally wanted more.

I have kept 2 males in my 55 gallon with absolutely no problem.. until i decided to introdcue females. Then one male killed the other and the 2 females got picked like crazy.. they were always trying to hide. So i would say if you are gettitng 2 males.. get ONLY males and no females.

Even if it's only 1 male and one female, I had a male kill the female after spawning in a 45gal before! Like I said most of them are crazy. The last one even picks on me 8O .

trust me you will know, they mostly don't sell the females in the fish stores becasue they are a silvery grey color, very dull in comparison to the males. They also have a rounded dorsal as opposed to the males pointed dorsal.

Tiffi.. just becuase your male is crazy doesn't mean they all are! >LOL.. I have heard of others who have kept 2 males together with no problems. They even swam together sometimes. It wasn't until i added the females that i had problems.

Ok ill stick with another male powder blue, btw, they look soooo good in my tank, its unbelievable. Bright blue on black and green.....hmmmm

IME it's best to either go with 1 or 5+ gouramis, unless you can find a few that are peaceful with each other of course. With only one, there aren't other gouramis they can pick on and with 5+, territorialness is usually spread out.

Males are usually a bit more colorful. I believe theres also something with thier fin being rounded. Google is your friend ;) "sexing gouramis"

HTH

Tiffi.. just becuase your male is crazy doesn't mean they all are!
I didn't say they all are, but they can be. That's why you got to be careful mixing them with females. Further, I have Kribs in the tank too, which bother none of my other fish altough they have fry. But the dwarf gourami always got to swim extra close and then they might get into a fight, that's why I'm planning on bringing him back. He's just too much stress for my peaceful community.

I love my golden gourami! He loves G.R. Aka GoldenRod (the golden gourami's name) goes, the clown ("nee", short for carnie) follows.

BTW, ashleynicole, I love the picture of "bob and his buddy" how did that snail EVER get onto your pleco?!

Back
Top Bottom