Gouramis Bubble Nests or Too Much Protien?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jak

Aquarium Advice Regular
What does a dwarf gourami bubble nest look like?

I've got bubbles in the corners of my 50 gal and they look like sea foam. Is this what a bubble nest looks like? I'm new to gouramis.

You can't really see in the pictures but its at least a quarter inch thick maybe a bit more in some places. Its all collected around a broken piece of plant.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20131029_115044.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131029_115044.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 75
  • ForumRunner_20131029_115057.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131029_115057.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 70
Pictures wouldn't load for me but from the description it's probably not a DG nest unless it's about 50% plant matter. Dwarfs tear off bits of leaf and root that make up a large portion of their nests. It's actually a lot of fun to watch them work on it

What do they do if there isn't much plant to tear apart?

My tank is lightly planted.
Try downloading those pictures if you're on the android app. That almost always works. The pictures will be in your downloads.

Just up the water changes and agitate the water surface a little more (an airstone on a check valve should work fine) and it should clear off.

Sounds like a plan.

My gut says the protein remains on the surface. Do I have to skim it off? Or will a regular middle of the tank syphin water change do the trick?

What I've done before is use a piece of kitchen towel and watch it suck up the scum.

You can soak it up with any kind of CLEAN media (I prefer paper towels since they're single use and therefore less likely to contain contaminants) but a simple siphoning water change shoukd be adequate to prevent further occurrences since you're removing protein before it has a chance to surface. Trying to siphon the surface is just ridiculously frustrating.

Back
Top Bottom