gouramis. love em!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tamtam

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay :D :D :D my bday has passed and for it my dad uncle and darling b/f gave me a 25 gal tank with everything. Its beautiful. its got brownish/orange substrate, a hob aquaclear filter, 100 watt heater decos and some floating plant that came with 2 dwarf gouramis. on top of all this it also came with 3 golden gouramis and one sailfin mollie(picking up 3 more tomarrow or the next day). I love this tank it set up alone is amazing to me. I freaked when I saw it all :oops: :lol: . but aside from that... I was mainly wondering a few things about gouramis. these questions just hit me last night when i was thinkin.
1) can diff gouramis like gold and dwarf or gold and kissing breed with eachother??? just wonderin if this was possible.
2) what other fish get along with gouramis aside from mollie and some tetras(do angles, cause the lfs has a sail on 2 angles for 18)????
3) will I need to transfer some of the gouramis to another tank when they grow larger?? or will they still be okay?? they are still small now(i think)

i cant beleave i am this interested in gouramis. lol, before i thought they were fairly ugly lookin. now i love em. :oops:
well, any info on my questions woulld be greatly apresiated.TIA!!!!!!!!!

1) No
2) The main problem with Gouramis is that they do not get along with other Gouramis. 5 Gouramis in a 25g typically does not work out too well. How long have you had each type of Gouramis.

about a week at my house.like I said they were a b-day gift, so could have been longer.

If your tank has only been up a short time, you should not add more fish until it cycles. Do you test for ammonia and nitrites?. If not, get a test kit and do weekly 20% water changes until the tank stabilizes.
I have dwarf groumis with angels with no problems but I had to move my blue groumi out. The blue was about 4 inches long, bigger than the angels, and picked on them.

Yeah that tank is gonna cycle pretty hard. Gourami's are very sensitive to ammonia. Watch out for spazzing gourami's...

If you havent yet, read about cycling in the AA articles....

-Dan

Angels need 10 gals per fish to allow for max growth and comfort level.
3) will I need to transfer some of the gouramis to another tank when they grow larger?? or will they still be okay?? they are still small now(i think)
If they start fighting.
Do you have a QT tank? Start thinking about one now, before you REALLY need it. There is an article regarding QT tanks in the articles section.

I dont HAVE one here, but Ido have access to a ten gal. And soon I plan to have a extra 15 gal freed up incase its needed. I havent test kits rightnow but next time im in town I plan to get some. Im keepin up on the water changes and there are no signs of agression yet. They all are eating good and getting along, I think the hiding spots are a HUGE help. Ive been gettin mixed answers all over the place and was wondering if anyone knows how big these guys will get, both the golden and the dwarf??? Ive gotten everything from 2-6 inches and would like a lil more a ah sturdy answer.
Thanks everyone

dwarf gouramis should top about at about 2.5". Same for the honey. All others will be getting bigger.

Back
Top Bottom