Gouramis require salt?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hholly

Aquarium Advice Addict
While visiting a local, chain pet store I checked out their fish. The blue, gold and opaline gouramis were labeled as requiring aquarium salt. Really? What do you all think?
Thanks!

I agree with the others. Most chain stores that sell fish I've been to say that the fish "require" aquarium salt on the stickers in front of the tanks and most of these fish do not require salt. An employee at one of the stores told me that they have to add salt to their tanks to try to battle disease and toxin poisoning since most of their tanks aren't cycled or maintained well. Plus they probably just want you to buy salt. :D

While visiting a local, chain pet store I checked out their fish. The blue, gold and opaline gouramis were labeled as requiring aquarium salt. Really? What do you all think?
Thanks!

Hello H...

I've used standard aquarium salt in my "Livebearer" and Corydoras tanks for several years with good results. I use less than the tablespoon per five gallons of water change water that's recommended. I use about a teaspoon per five gallons.

I use it for several reasons: The tap water in municipal supplies is very low in dissolved salts compared to some fish-raising areas. Aquarium salt replenishes minerals and water flows through the gills easier with a trace of salt in the tank. Most fish pathogens don't tolerate even a trace of salt in the water, so it might be the reason I've never had any diseases in my tanks over the years.

I'm not saying all fish need salt, they will survive without it. My Livebearers and Corys do very well with a trace in the water. So, I use it for the general health of my fish.

Just one opinion.

B

BBradbury said:
Hello H...

I've used standard aquarium salt in my "Livebearer" and Corydoras tanks for several years with good results. I use less than the tablespoon per five gallons of water change water that's recommended. I use about a teaspoon per five gallons.

I use it for several reasons: The tap water in municipal supplies is very low in dissolved salts compared to some fish-raising areas. Aquarium salt replenishes minerals and water flows through the gills easier with a trace of salt in the tank. Most fish pathogens don't tolerate even a trace of salt in the water, so it might be the reason I've never had any diseases in my tanks over the years.

I'm not saying all fish need salt, they will survive without it. My Livebearers and Corys do very well with a trace in the water. So, I use it for the general health of my fish.

Just one opinion.

B

Have you ever wondered what would happen if you stopped adding the salt?

I've heard it bolsters the fishes immune system and helps them fight illness and disease, wouldn't that create a reliance on the salt for their well being?

I'm just wondering as a friend uses the same method as you and he couldn't give me an answer lol (not well versed in fishy knowledge)

:thanks:

Back
Top Bottom