Grape vine wood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mawingo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

I am thinking about using some old grape vine wood in my new Discus Tank. The wood is old and was cut out of a vineyard about a year ago.

Can you suggest if this is safe or not ?

I boil any wood for at least 5 hours sometimes more than once.

Any suggestions appreciated

Mawingo :D

Hi, Mawingo and WELCOME!!!!!

Grapevine wood would certainly look interesting. I would consider three things:

1 Were pesticides used in the vineyard? If so, be very cautious.

2 Will the wood ever sink? Grapewood is not very dense - it's more herbacious than woody - you may have to weight it down by attaching it to slate with aquarium silicone

3 Will it hold up underwater? Some woods just decompose faster than others under water.

You may want to test out a piece first in your Q-tank. I am hoping to put cholla wood in my tank and because of concerns 2 and 3, I'm going to test it out first.

[center:014c288e9a] Welcome to AA, Mawingo!! :smilecolros: :n00b: [/center:014c288e9a]

I agree with QTOFFER--check out the wood before it goes in the tank. I have a piece of wood that looks like it should sink, but it hasn't sunk yet (6 months)! I have never ran into a probelm with wood not holding together, but I did put in a piece that was too soft and my pleco loved it (bad for me--what goes in must come out :roll: ). I never realized how messy a pleco could be 8O

Hiya Mawingo and welcome to Aquariumadvice.

We have a article on the treatment of driftwood found in the wild as opposed to a store. As long as the grapevine wood you have hasn't been exposed to fungicides, herbicides or pesticides, and can handle the rigors of the driftwood treatment, I'd give it a try.

And it likely will never be heavy enough to sink when waterlogged. You'll probably have to secure it to a piece of slate to keep it from floating. And as mentioned, keep an eye on it to be sure its not a type of wood which will rot in the tank.

Isn't there a new kind of fungus that can kill fish connected with grapewood? I am going to have to check my history and my daughter's. I am sure she mentioned it.
You might search for disease and grapewood.. it will be of course on a betta site.
Grape wood is actually a very heavy wood and would make great driftwood for a while. I always had it for repyiles..and we had a sun porch couch made from it.

Hi guys/gals,

Thanks for the response. I have had the ....icide and the woodrot and sinking echo from my dealer and have decided not to put it in. This is a pity as the forms are very dramatic and look very rootlike. It looks like I will have to buy my wood from my local pet store. I was hoping to avoid doing so as it is horrendously expensive.

We get 'African Mopani' wood here which is very heavy and beautiful but is sold at 50 Swiss francs a kilo. I will be needing about 9 kilos!!! When there has been other wood types, their forms were not nice and would certainly not give the effect I am looking for.

The tank is 1.3m long and .6 wide by .6 high. ( +- 410 lit )

Anyway, thanks again for the info.

Cheers

Mawingo

I like swahala wood for its rooty, twisty appearance, with dark and light streaks in it. It is also extremely dense and does not float at all. I saw a gorgeous piece in one LFS but they wanted almost $100 US for it! HAH!

I went to another store and found a smaller but equally attractive piece for $6. It pays to shop around!

Back
Top Bottom