Grapevine driftwood, what to look for?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish_4_all

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have seen that you can use it and that you can't, APC has a topic that discussed it in descent fetail but I have a question or two.

First, my grandparents have a huge grape "Bush". If they trim, what do I need to look for as far as the right parts to use in an aquarium?
As far as tanins, are they dangerous to the fish in any way?
Any other information would be useful as this is the best wood I have access to that is closeby andI can see what i am getting.
Also, if it is still "alive" can I just boil it to kill the living cells in order to keep it from sprouting in the tank. :roll:

As far as tanins, are they dangerous to the fish in any way?

NO. Just make water brown, until all the tannins are released. Actually some fish like this for spawning

First, my grandparents have a huge grape "Bush". If they trim, what do I need to look for as far as the right parts to use in an aquarium?

IMO, I would not use it at all,but dont qoute me on thatbecause I am going to research this more and get back to you. "Driftwood" refers to wood that is already dead and has been for some time. Has it ever been sprayed by pesticides. Research the kind od wood because I am not a wood pro. If you find it is safe...boil....boil....boil
I cant look into it to much more at the second because I have to write up a report at work....Here is a good page I found talking about wood in aquariums so check it out and see if it helps at all

http://www.atchison.com/ArticlesandStories/wood.htm

Back
Top Bottom