Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-24-2011, 06:34 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

grapevine in aquariums

I have grapes growing in my backyard and would like to use the dead pruned vines in my tank. I never use pesticides of any type in my yard. I am getting mixed messages from research on the internet. Has anyone here actually put grapevine in their tank, and what were your results???

Old 12-24-2011, 07:26 PM   #2
Great white snark

Tank of the Month Award

I have grapevine in a few of my tanks. Here's the problems I'm having with them:

They rot quicker than harder woods like maylasian DW. Mine are getting soft and falling apart (my plecos love them though)

After a few years they have developed a smell to them.

I'm slowly replacing them. For the record, I also suggest avoiding manzantia for the same reasons. My hard woods; malaysian and mopani are holding up much better.

AA ToS
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/misc.php?do=sknetwork&page=tos
DragonFish71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 10:31 PM   #3
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

I agree with DragonFish. I live in wine valley, so I know a few people who have done the grapevine thing. They had the same issue with it breaking down more rapidly than other things. Other than that, I have not heard of it actually negatively affecting the water chemistry or anything.
Old 12-24-2011, 11:46 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks for the info! I'm glad to know it doesn't actually hurt the water/fish. My problem is I have a 27 hex that is really tall. All the wood I've seen that would look good is incredibly expensive. I think I will try it since I seem to have an endless supply of the stuff, and could replace it if it falls apart.

Thanks again!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com