Gravel and substrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Peacock147

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Anyone have any suggestions what the best gravel is, I have 55 with small river rocks and other tanks with regular gravel is there a better gravel or a recommend one, or is it just a matter of preference. I see some people have the sand , looks good but how is it when it comes to live plants and cleaning( vacuuming when doing water change) ?.

As far as live plants I know the value of substrates with clay as most plants need iron, any input on that would be great as I'm kinda new to planted aquarium

Thanks

It really depends on what you like. I have plants growing in sand, regular gravel, sand/gravel mix with plain, unscented cat litter and in tanks with special plant substrates.

Sand is very easy to clean, just hover the tube over the sand and let it suck up all the junk.

It also depends on the type of plants you want. Things like swords and crypts are heavy root feeders and will need root tabs where as your other plants do fine with regular liquid ferts (that's what I use anyways)

Back
Top Bottom