Gravel Changeouts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kerrinne

Aquarium Advice Freak
Question! I have been contemplating changing out the gravel in my 75 gallon tank to something a little more friendly to my bottom dwellers. Currently I have black aquarium gravel, and it's probably medium sized. (I bought it back before I knew there were other options!)

I've heard finer substrates are more friendly to these bottom dwellers (esp cory cats) that like to dig into the substrate -- and less dangerous to their little probe thingies (forgot the technical name, sorry).

First, any suggestions as to whether this would be better for them or not? And second, if so, how would I go about changing out an entire tank? What havoc would it reek on my water quality? And would all my fish be okay in a 10 gallon bucket during the x amount of hours it takes to make the switch?

I'm in no hurry to do this, but I really think I would like something different in there -- if it's feasible and better.

Well, are you sure the gravel you have is bothering their barbels. My #1 rule in aquariums is....if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

No, I have no signs that it's been bad for them -- on the fish themselves. But I had people telling me it could easily injure them having a coarser substrate. I want to do what will be best for them long term.

most bottom feeders like sand. i started with 2 gravel tanks and now i have 4 sand :). it gets messy every time i redo my tank (plants rocks etc.)

Well, i changed my substrate from an ugly blue and pink to a natrual one that looks like a bunch of tiny pebbles. However, i decided to do the change when i had to move, so i had to take everything out anyway, and my fish stayed inside a bucket for two hours and i didn't lose any of them.

Also, as long as you keep your filter media wet, in old tank water, the beneficial bacteria from that will take over from the gravel loss, so you water quality should be fine.

Yup, you shouldn't have any issues changing out 100% of the gravel. I've done it on 3 tanks and never even had a mini-cycle or a fish problem.

I've done it before in my 55 gallon. My advice- don't bother unless you're sure you want to change it. I mean, what a pain in the ***!!! :lol: I've also heard that cories/bottom dwellers prefer sand, but they will be fine with the gravel too so don't worry too much.

You could cause a cycle doing all the gravel at once. Depends on how much of the bacteria live in the filter. Doing half a week would be playing it on the safe side.
You will likely stir up a lot of muck. Vacuum before digging.

A lfs here sells med sandblasting sand. Cheaper than the pre packaged for aquarium use stuff. Could be had even cheaper if you find a place that sell sandblasting stuff.

I took out some of the gravel in my tank and mixed in some sand. The substrate is now of several sizes. Just thought I would throw that idea in.

I changed my substrate from gravel to sand on Saturday. It was a pain, but totally worth it aesthetically. My tank hadn't cycled, so I can't say what it would do to an already cycled tank. I'd just make sure that you're totally sure that you want to switch to sand, because the entire process of washing the sand, removing the gravel, siphoning, and doing everything else is time-consuming. But if you do, I'd recommend sandblasting sand. I bought mine at an LFS, and the particles are small/medium and rounded enough that they won't damage cories' barbels once I get them.

I changed my substrate from gravel to sand a few months ago, and I must say, it was not a pleasant experience. And this was in my little 5 gallon tank. I don't think it's a project that I personally would undertake again, especially with something as large as 75 gallons. Aesthetically, the sand looks cool, and I'm sure my cory (soon to be cories, fingers crossed) prefers it. However, he's a pygmy cory, so he's 1" long and his barbels are much, much smaller (and more easily damaged) than any other cory species. I'm no cory expert, but from what I've read, it's generally agreed that as long as your gravel is not rough, it's okay for cories.

I think the issue with cory's and "coarse" substrate is more abrasiveness than size. If your gravel is enamel coated standard black aquarium gravel, there is no issue.

Now, i changed from the fake stuff to real gravel, i did half one week, and the other half 2 weeks later... i seeded my new gravel with some of the old stuff.

Back
Top Bottom