gravel cleaner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jonesy99

Aquarium Advice Activist
Can someone explain to me how gravel/sand cleaners work? All i know is they attach to an air pump? :/

Can someone explain to me how gravel/sand cleaners work? All i know is they attach to an air pump? :/

Mine doesn't even use an air pump. I submerge it, get all the air out, give it 2 or 3 shakes to start the siphon and it works brilliant :) Only $9 at Walmart too.

Ah ok, but i live in the uk.
Thanks tho'

What! You mean Walmart hasnt invaded the UK yet? You are lucky my friend. Walmarts are like roaches here in the US :)

What kind of gravel vac do you have? perhaps a photo?

I dont have one, but im considering buying one, and i know they have to be attached to the air lump :/ ?

Coz i have this weird snail invasion, hey do no physical harm if anything they do clean algae, but theyr ugly

I dont have one, but im considering buying one, and i know they have to be attached to the air lump :/ ?

If you find any place that sells Aquaclear products, they make the pumpless vac that I use. Its cheap and really easy to use. Works great for siphoning during water changes or breaking down a tank.

Coz i have this weird snail invasion, hey do no physical harm if anything they do clean algae, but theyr ugly

I had that happen with mystery snails. Bought 2 and a few months later, I had a small invasion.

I've never seen one that attaches to an air pump. The most basic is essentially a plastic tube about 12" long and 1-1/2" wide reduced to about a 1/2" fitting on one end with a 3' flexible hose attached to that. You start a siphon like ccross said or by mouth and then let the water go to a bucket. The gravel is generally heavy enough it tumbles but doesn't get sucked up (unless you leave it in one place for a long time) but pulls the mulm and other debris up with the water. There are some that attach to faucets as well. These use a valve to create a venturi to pull water from the tank and the valve can be switched to refill from the faucet for freshwater tanks. The major brand names that do this are Python, Aqueon Water Changer, and the No Spill Clean 'n Fill by Lee's (if they are still around).

ccross said:
I had that happen with mystery snails. Bought 2 and a few months later, I had a small invasion.

No the weirdest thing is... never even purchesed any. What happened was (bear in mind im speaking of a freshwater tank) i got some seashells from spain which would presumably be saltwater and all of a sudden a few days later 3 snails, 9 snails and it just escalated. Ive tried getting rid of them, and it seems their numbers increase after water changes rapidly. But in the end i just leave them, i mean they cause no real harm and ive had em for about a year they just clean the algae. But thy are really small, about 5-10mm each but very visible and transparent brown in colour :/

No the weirdest thing is... never even purchesed any. What happened was (bear in mind im speaking of a freshwater tank) i got some seashells from spain which would presumably be saltwater and all of a sudden a few days later 3 snails, 9 snails and it just escalated. Ive tried getting rid of them, and it seems their numbers increase after water changes rapidly. But in the end i just leave them, i mean they cause no real harm and ive had em for about a year they just clean the algae. But thy are really small, about 5-10mm each but very visible and transparent brown in colour :/

That is weird. Hybrid salt/freshwater snail invasion :)

Back
Top Bottom