Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-21-2002, 09:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Gravel Cleaning Question

OK I'm new at this, and somebody here said there was no such thing as a dumb question so here goes...I have seen it said both to do a good gravel cleaning at water change but I have also read here not to clean too well. When cleaning the gravel, can you see the bacteria being suctioned out. Common sense would say that it's microscopic, but can it clump into visible particles. When I suction under the gravel, the tube nearly turns black with everything coming out from the gravel.

My predicament is that I have a 29 gallon tank that I have had for 9 weeks. I've not added any chemicals (other tan stresscoat) and my ammonia has been stuck at around 7.0. I realize that I started with too many fish, and fed too much, but this has been corrected. My water is crystal clear, the ph is 7.0, and the three fish I have are growing (I did have some fatalities at first). I have been doing 10% to 25% water changes at least once a week. So back to my original question. Should I suction the gravel until the tube is clear, or is that too much? Thanks for any help.

Old 12-21-2002, 10:10 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Well the bactera would be to small to see. What your sucking out is uneaten food and fish 'poop' for lack of a better term. The uneaten food and fish waste are items that contribute to the ammoniia in the tank. Removing it will lower your ammonia.

I would gravel vac 1/2 of the tank at a time.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clean, cleaning, gravel

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com