Gravel or Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Calypso77

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Can someone shed some light on this for me on the difference between gravel or sand in a freshwater aquarium? The sand looks very nice and neat.

Thanks

I swear by this stuff, it's actually super fine gravel but it acts and looks like sand, oh, and it doesn't get sucked up in a gravel vac unless you're really trying too. It's just the Petco brand "sand". it's softer for fish (especially if your have burrowers or fish with barbels like corys and loaches), looks more natural and easier to manage I think, all the fish crap and left over food sits on top rather than sinking in between the larger gravel where it can be hard to get and cause ammonia problems. But everyone has their own opinion, but if you try this stuff I would bet you'd be extremely satisfied.

Attachments

• image-3173565553.jpg
    image-3173565553.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 69
I had the same question a little while ago. I decided to go for Roman gravel as it seemed impossible to get sand from a fish store and the Roman gravel is small and looks nice it also comes in variety of colors.

fonze said:
I had the same question a little while ago. I decided to go for Roman gravel as it seemed impossible to get sand from a fish store and the Roman gravel is small and looks nice it also comes in variety of colors.

What?! Are you sure you were in fact in a fish store? Every one that I have been to has like 10 different types of sand, not including colors haha.

You can also go to a swimming pool supply store and get pool filter sand, everyone seems to be pretty satisfied with PFS

Zimmanski said:
What?! Are you sure you were in fact in a fish store? Every one that I have been to has like 10 different types of sand, not including colors haha.

You can also go to a swimming pool supply store and get pool filter sand, everyone seems to be pretty satisfied with PFS

Honestly where I live in the UK I went to about six lfs and they all said they didn't sell sand but could get it in if I really wanted it. As for pool supply stores I don't know of any round here.

fonze said:
Honestly where I live in the UK I went to about six lfs and they all said they didn't sell sand but could get it in if I really wanted it. As for pool supply stores I don't know of any round here.

See, there's your problem, you're on the wrong side of the pond! Haha

Zimmanski said:
See, there's your problem, you're on the wrong side of the pond! Haha

As long as you research a little about sand first you could get some sand from BandQ, Wickes or Homebase.

You need sand with little to no silicates.

Children's play sand I believe will work.

Personally I use pea gravel with a plant substrate underneath and I barely vacuum the gravel of any pooh as it risks uprooting my plants. My tank is quite heavily planted.

Jon

I made the switch to sand (Pool Filter Sand) recently and LOVE it. Never buying another bag of gravel again :D

Except for my planted 55g. I will be using about a 50/50 mix of PFS and Flourite to keep both my plants and my cory's happy.

Back
Top Bottom