Gravel? Stones?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hazzabee

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I currently have some blue gravel in my tank, yes I know doesn't look very natural, but I would love to change it, I can't make my mind up what I want in there gravel, sand or stones, what would look the best? The stones would be absolutely free for me as I'll go to the beach and grab some from there( it's a peebles beach). What would you guys do?

Sent from my C6603 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sand or e co-complete fine grade. Then put a few stones here and there in other colors. I use pool filter sand or black sand. Depends what color you want if you do the sand route.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I think you should do whichever you prefer. You will be the one that has to look at it every day. If you decide to put any stones in, you will want to do the vinegar test on them. If you pour vinegar on them and bubbles/fizz are produced, I wouldn't use them. Also, you will want to boil them to get rid of any living organisms that might hitch a ride into your tank. They can be detrimental to the tank.
I prefer sand as a substrate. Pool sand is cost effective and pretty. If you don't mind spending more, you can buy the eco-complete kind. :)

I like pool filter sand. Totally inert and super easy to clean.

Keep in mind sand and and gravel are easier to clean. Using just stones, fish poop and uneaten food gets between them.
I use pool filter sand, very cheap and looks great.

Back
Top Bottom