gravel to sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It can also be a good idea to keep a bit of the old gravel wet and chuck it into filter bags or stockings, then place the bags half burried or just on top of the new sand, the you can remove them after a week or so. This is just to seed the good bacteria into your new substrate. I did it this way just to have no mini cycles, your tank will look ugly for a week or so though lol.

Some people think the substrate doesnt hold much good bacteria at all, but if you have at least some flow over the substrate then it would hold some. If you have an undergravel filter i would definetly bag up some old gravel and put it into or ontop of the new substrate

The spike you are going to make will be nitrates because of unearth food and waste buried the gravel. Thats why it's better to use sand. So you will need to do a pwc. I'd do 2 33% each.

All this advice is helpful. But can I do the same with eco complete? And as for the food and waste, should I clean the gravel first?

fishdud said:
All this advice is helpful. But can I do the same with eco complete? And as for the food and waste, should I clean the gravel first?

If price is no factor where I am from it expensive and I would defiantly vac the gravel first if you are leaving the fish in

Nah, price won't matter. Cost around $16, not bad? But yeah I plan on leaving the fish in

fishdud said:
Okay, will do. Wow, why so expensive?

I have no idea maybe cause I live in a small town even pool filter sand is 40$ per 50 lbs but it says the volume is twice the weight so it has the volume of 100lbs but the weight of 50 lbs that might be why that's so expensive

$40?! It's $10 at my local Leslie pool store! Wow. But should I rinse the eco complete?

Back
Top Bottom