Gravel turned Water Black!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hmmm, my Pets gravel ain't turning silver yet lol, but I'm gonna change to sand soon anyways lol :)

I'd say try it in a clear storage box (also at wilkos lol) and top it up with tank temp water and see how it goes

Better to test before a bulk supply, good luck!

That's what I was thinking...wash one bag to see how that goes and if its rubbish, return the others haha Hopefully I have better luck with this gravel. Otherwise its back to natural lol

Thanks for your help :)

Welsh said:
That's what I was thinking...wash one bag to see how that goes and if its rubbish, return the others haha Hopefully I have better luck with this gravel. Otherwise its back to natural lol

Well if it works for you it's another product I can consider so it helps me too lol :)

I was just going to say that I had a 15kg bag from Homebase, I think I paid a fiver for it, completely inert too so won't mess with your tank, or fish :)

Welsh said:
I was just going to say that I had a 15kg bag from Homebase, I think I paid a fiver for it, completely inert too so won't mess with your tank, or fish :)

We don't have a homebase near us annoyingly, I'll check B&Q and jewsons.

I know Argos has play sand so I'll research that too me thinks

Ahhh forgot about Argos. Their play sand is safe too, and its only £3 for the same size bag. Bargain!! :p haha

Welsh said:
Ahhh forgot about Argos. Their play sand is safe too, and its only £3 for the same size bag. Bargain!! :p haha

Yep :)
Although I'm quite nervous about switching substrate.

Although the Gf goes away in a week so I may do it then lol :)

Well, I went for the black gravel from Pets @ home in the end, hopefully it stays black, and hopefully I don't have the same moldy problem as last time lol

Which sand did you use from homebase? I want to change over but it difficult to ind good price and quality stuff over here! I'm in Swansea!

Thanks and you had no problems with it?? Did they do other colours and did you have to wash it for long??

Nope, none at all. It's just white sand. I think I have a (not so good) photo in my gallery, of what it looked like. I can't remember how long it took, I don't think it took long but, when washing it what I did was, put the amount I wanted in a bucket and let a hose pipe, or shower run in to the bucket, I left it and then stirred the sand up occasionally. When you add the sand to your tank though, make sure you leave the filter off until the sand has completely settled. :)

Thanks! I shall be off to get some next week!! It's going in an empty tank so as long as I follow the instructions right I shouldn't get too much clouding lol

Mine didn't cloud too much and the fish didn't die, so that's always an achievement for me haha

I don't know if you know this but sand needs to be stirred up every so often, so anaerobic gases don't build up, which are dangerous. You can either do it yourself, or you can get Malaysian Trumpet Snails, which bury in the substrate and release any gases. :)

Thanks again, yeah I'd read about that just waiting for my new lid to arrive and then I can get sorted?!

No worries! :D Depending on your tank size, you could try Kuhli Loaches, since they don't propagate like snails, but I haven't found them anywhere around here yet & I've been to every pet store around Swansea and Neath haha

Lol I know done that myself!! I'm having more corys (88l tank) with my guppies so hopefully they will help a bit

Yeah, you can just move it yourself anyway and if your tank ends up heavily planted then just get a knitting needle, or chopstick to move it.

Back
Top Bottom