Gravel turned Water Black!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Welsh

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well, I posted here last week about the problem with my fish tank.... I'll upload pictures later, but basically... I changed my gravel to black and within a week there was white mold growing on the gravel, along wit the water being a cloudy/grey.

After 5 big water changes there was no difference, water levels were where they should be and the water still stank like a million rotten eggs, I woke to the whole house smelling of this rancid smell... Not pleasant let me tell you, so there was only one thing for it.....I tore down the tank :(

So, whilst cleaning the gravel earlier today, I noticed the water was BLACK, I've used bleach and let it stand and literally spent hours rinsing it, but it still comes out black. It seems to be unusable. Has anyone else had this problem with the Pettex Roman Gravel before?

I used this in both my tanks and had the same exact problem :(

What a nightmare!!

I've cycled a few tanks before, but I was just wondering out of fishless and fish in cycling, which is the quickest?

The method I use is a raw prawn, or piece of fish,etc, along with fish food but as I currently have all my fish in a 5 gallon bucket, I need this cycle to be as quick and painless as possible. I can't even use filter media from my other tank, as there is mold in that tank too :(

I've never seen that paticular brand, but I have had that issue with black gravel in the past.

You have other tanks, correct? If so the best method would be to move over some seeded filter media and keep a close eye on your parameters. ;)

I have one other tank thats setup, which happens to have the same problem too. I'm not sure whether I should use the filter media, in case the problem happens all over again.

I would just COMPLETELY empty and clean all tanks, filter, decor, heater, and anything else that was in the tank(s) and get different gravel/sand. Set up the tanks all over again. Start with some really hearty fish (tetras, mollies, platties) for a couple of weeks and you should be ready to go. Tell your LFS your circumstances and see if they will let you return them for some store credit.

I don't think the tank is big enough for mollies.

The same problem, with the black coming off the substrate, correct? I wouldn't worry about using the filter media. That shouldn't be affected by your substrate issue. ;)

I don't think the tank is big enough for mollies.

The same problem, with the black coming off the substrate, correct? I wouldn't worry about using the filter media. That shouldn't be affected by your substrate issue. ;)

If it was only for a couple weeks, but yea.... She said there was mold right? That could be in the filter/filter media....No?

When I cleaned the filter it was white, but it didn't resemble the mold that was on the gravel, so I'm not sure.

As for the fish.... I have tetra's, neon and pristella. I'm not sure about the neons being hardy but the pristella's have been through a lot and have survived, and since the stores here don't take back fish, I think its easier to just use them. I also have a gourami... would he be hardy enough, what do you reckon?

Personally, I don't see any reason to chuck your media and cycle with fish.

Dwarf Gouramis seem to be more sensitive then regulars.

You dont seem to have many options in the matter. Maybe get the fish in a bucket, empty all the gravel and replace it. Keep the filter and see if it goes away.

Well, I figured I had nothing really to lose, so I put my betta's filter into my cycling tank...only time will tell if this was a bad idea.

What I am not happy with are my anubia's! These were the only plants that managed to survive in my fish tank, I put them in the bucket with my fish and hung a 27watt light over them, looked at them just now and my pleco has munched underneath the leaves, so I decided to put them in to my cycling tank only to discover that they are no longer the dark green they once were, but are now turning a very sickly lime/yellow. Will they die completely in my tank? I know their slow growing but if I keep algae off the leaves, will the build up of ammonia,etc kill them? I'm am actually devastated :(

Anubias grow in usually any light condition. How did you plant them? In the substrate? If you plant them in the substrate and bury the rhizome, they will usually do that. Most people suggest to thread them to a piece of driftwood or a rock, let their roots grow on there, and then un-thread them and let them be settled on there. What kind of light was it? T5, T8, regular shop lamp? It would help a lot.

What kind of filter is this? I hope it has lots of seeded media, BN plecs have a HUGE bioload and IMO I would say only keep them in a 15 if you're running super good filtration.

You can always prune them and let the green grow again on the anubias.

Their all tied to pieces of ceramic pot. I'm not sure about the light...It's a 27watt, 6500k desk lamp, thats all I know about it.

I'm dreading pruning them, I just know their not going to be decent again until at least Easter haha.

So, since the tank is currently re-cycling... do you think the ammonia,etc will do the plants any good, or just kill them?

Plants LOVE ammonia, they seem to absorb it more than nitrates.

It could be the light. If it's a desk lamp it won't provide enough, at least IME when I tried a desk lamp with my five gallon betta tank and had anubias. A standard T8 fixture will definitely do them some good things :)

That's good to know! My LFS have ordered me in a list of anubia's and other plants... which I'm supposed to be picking up Saturday, so at least now I know they won't die from too much ammonia,etc...but if they do, I'm blaming you :p

I'm not sure. It was the Pettex jet Black roman gravel. It had good feedback when I researched it online, so I guess its just my luck it messed up my tank :(

If your anubias die, then I will take out my lovely anubias, get some trimmings of my rotalas, board a plane to England, find out where you live, and personally plant them in your tank :D

Wales, not England... It's a different country :p Haha

Well, they seem to be healthier today, or maybe I'm just being optimistic lol

I'm going to have to find a different substrate too, the black gravel is definitely unusable :(

Welsh said:
Does anyone use the Marina Gravel?

I haven't seen any marina gravel, although I have a few of their products lol.

I went for the pets at home black gravel in my tank.

It's quite fine and "sharp" (especially if stood on in bare feet!) and I haven't seen any colour fade or leeching.

For a 8kg bag it's around £11, or £3.50 for 2kg.

I'd recommend that to anyone, although if you wanna try different colours maybe get some natural gravel from like B&Q (it's around £3 for a huge bag lol) and its quite smooth so bottom dwellers would be comfortable with it.

I've tried the pets at home black gravel, its been in my betta's tank for 1 year and its now silver, so I don't really want to use that again. I saw the marina gravel in Wilkinson's, 2kg for £4.29, which is quite expensive for a small bag but if it washes first time and doesn't fade when washing, I think it will be worth it haha . As for the natural gravel, thats the stuff I got rid of, it made my tank appear orange and didn't show off my fish like I wanted lol.

Back
Top Bottom