Gravel vac

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishheadsoup

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just a quick question, who uses what ,to vaccum out the rocks and gravel? I have a hose that clips onto the water intake on my Magnum canister filter. I just clip in on and suck away, then clean out the screen part on the filter. This works really well. Just wondering what some others are using.

I too use a python vac to do my tanks. For me buckets is not an option. Too many tanks, too many gallons.

i use a python on all my larger tanks and the ones closest to the kitchen
On the smaller tanks I use a regular old syphon into a bucket and stick the gravel vac deep into the gravel than refill with aged treated tap.

i started using a 6 or 8' vacuum hose and got tired of the buckets so I bought a 25' python (for $50!). I guess I don't have enough water pressure because the python doesn't suck the gravel and gunk out nearly as well as the regular siphon vacuum does. Its great for refilling though to avoid hauling more buckets. I vacuum with the old vacuum and use the python to fill it back up.

I use a regular gravel vac and i guess its ok... its just that the proccess can be annoying

I maintain 16 tanks with buckets and a couple of siphon type gravel vacs. One is quite a bit larger than the other so that I can use it in my 120 and my 45 tall. The rest of the tanks, the shorter one works fine. I tried a python and just didn't like wasting that much water right down the sink. Total time in a week for water changes for me is still only a couple of hours so it's no big deal.

well ive used a regular syphon and bucket up until a couple of days ago for my 55 gal. now that i got my 150 gal, there is no way im still gonna use that method lol
ill probably grab a python.

I just bought a Python last weekend and what a great tool.
I did a 25% WC on my 20 gal last night and thoroughly vacuumed more than 1/4 of my gravel in less than 10 minutes and not a drop spilled.

Got a question about the Python.......
I only have a 10 gal......is it even worth looking into getting a Python or should I just stay with a typical gravel vac for such a small area?

Also, is it safe to fill the aquarium back up with tap water and then add the dechlorinator?.......I was always under the impression that only already treated water should be added to the tank...but from what I understand about the Python, this doesn't happen......

Thanks!!

I have a Python mainly because of my larger tanks but I do use it on my 10 gallon and it does a fine job.
I add the dechlor to the tank just prior to refilling (add enough to treat the entire tank, not just the amount you are changing) and have not had a problem.
The fish are so used to the Python they come up and nibble on the tube (and my hand) and some want to be in the stream of new water as it comes in.
Is it worth it for just a 10 gal ? I don't know but I can say it is much easier, quicker and drier than any other method I have tried.

I would say that if you have a big tank, then its useful. But to be honest, I have used mine twice since I bought it and I must not have the water pressure necessary to make the vacuum clean the gravel very well. it doesn't do as good a job as the regular vacuum siphon. Hooking it up and working with it, for me, seemed to be no more work and hassle than using the buckets. Yes, the mess is much less, but thats why I have towels. Missleman's points are all great and I agree with them, though personally, I continue using the buckets on my 40gallon instead of the python because its just simpler to start vacuuming, dumping and refilling as opposed to unraveling 25' of hose, unscrewing the sink adaptors and attaching the python's, hooking it up, starting the vacuuming, quickly switching from vacuuming to refilling, then unhooking all of it and rolling up the hose. So, for me, I just use my trusty siphon vacuum and a bucket.

Python use in Australia = looks of death if anyone finds out you are using one. This is simply due to the drought and the water restrictions. It couldn't be more unpopular down here.

I use the normal gravelvac/bucket for my 2ft. For my 4x2x2-in-progress I will use a hose and just siphon the dirty water on the grass/garden. We're not allowed to water lawns from mains water, so I'm looking forward to havng a lawn again.

To refil, I plan to store ready-to-go water in a large container such as a barrell. I will use a pond pump/hose to get the water from the barrel to the tank.

baby snail fungus

hi! i am new on my dads ( Kenw ) log in name. i am 10 years old and have my first tank. i don't get it my tank is ready but my baby snails ( from my dads tank) have something weird on them it is by their bottom not their head. it looks like ick but snails don't get ick. i am so confused.:confused:

Back
Top Bottom