Gravel Vac Question PlZ!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1FatFish

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello,
I did my first gravel vac today. My tank has been setup for about 6.5 weeks.
For the first 4.5 weeks I had only 6 neons and 1 cat fishy (tank was cycling).
After the tank cycled 4.5 weeks I went with the GF and purchased 1 gold algae eater and 2 kissing gourami. And last week I got 3 Angel Fish small sized.
Anyway, today while doing a gravel vac I noticed that the gravel seemed very dirty. My girlfriend and I were very surprised! Is this normal? I mean, the amount of waste for the amount of fish we have and the time we had the fish? We have a 55gal and were doing weekly water changes of 10%.

Thank you all..
Richie

In 6.5 weeks I imagine there would be tons of debris on the bottom - just based on what I pick up in my 55 when I do a water change once or twice a week with a gravel vac.

It would be good to try to get a bit of it at every water change, so it does not have a chance to build up and create water quality problems.

Thanks for the reply. I understand it's been 6.5 weeks.. But what I am saying is that it seemed like alot of dirt for the few fish i'd have for the 1st 4.5 weeks..
:+)

Richie

Sounds about right to me. Even in my tank with just tiny Endler's livebearers I pick up a remarkable amount of debris every week.

Sounds right to me, too. Gravel vac at least a little bit of your tank (1/4 or 1/2 of the tank would probably be good for 10% of a 55gal) at every water change. The mulm (debris) is always pretty impressively gross. Also, if it is *really* excessive, perhaps feed the fish a bit less. Overfeeding is one of the biggest causes of problems people have with fish (IMHO).

Back
Top Bottom