Gravel vacuum, or no gravel vacuum?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Goldfish loach boy

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am wondering, I have live plants, and I know that they eat through the roots, so I was wondering that instead of gravel vacuum, I just take out 10 gallons weekly, it is a 29 gallon, and in a near future, I want for dwarf hair grass to cover the entire tank floor
Thank you! :)

I don't know about other people, but I'd just vacuum avoiding the plants and roots... I'm no expert, but that's what I'd do :p if theirs dwarf hair grass then I'd just vacuum above it. Close to the bottom but obviously not in the grass

You dont have to always go into the substrate

What people do with sand is hover the vac over the substrate because even with gravel most of the grime will settle at the top

When I had plants I would always avoid disturbing the substrate. The roots being disturbed isn't good for the plants.

I don't gravel vac any of my planted tanks. What I do is wave my hand gently though the plants and over any open substrate so that detris is brought up into the water column where your WC can remove most of it and the filters can also help remove it.

Yea, ok I'll just hover on top, would you suggest 5 gallons or 10 gallons for me to take of weekly?

Depending on your stock it could be anywhere from 25-50 percent weekly

Dont take over 50% of the water unless you can mimic the EXCACT water chemistry, temp, ect.

Hah, just kidding, I don't know why I'm laughing so much, but yea, that is exactly what I'm changing, is that good?

Back
Top Bottom