Great type of loach to get ride of pond snails?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

micaiah12

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey, I was just wondering what kind of loaches would work great to remove those pesky pond snails. I have a 29 gallon tank that is contaminated with them. Also I was wondering where would a good place to get them? Online? I live in Montana and the Pet-smart near me doesn't have them I think. My LFS might have them, but I would have to check.

I'm not sure if any of the great snail eating loaches work in a tank of that size. Most of them get quite large, and should be stocked in groups of atleast 5. Zebra loaches may be an option, if you don't have other bottom dwellers in there the tank may be large enough for them. I'm not sure. I haven't kept them. You're best bet to deal with snails is be careful not to overfeed, and set some kind of simple trap for them. You can place a net in the tank overnight with some veggies in it like lettuce and first thing in the morning remove that net and with it will come many snails. You can repeat this a few times if you need to.

micaiah12 said:
Hey, I was just wondering what kind of loaches would work great to remove those pesky pond snails. I have a 29 gallon tank that is contaminated with them. Also I was wondering where would a good place to get them? Online? I live in Montana and the Pet-smart near me doesn't have them I think. My LFS might have them, but I would have to check.

For small snails you can get some yoyo loaches. Or you can put a piece of lettuce in your tank over night they will be swarming on it and take it out in the morning.

i started my planted tank i got over whelmed by mts. i think snails are good cleaning crew (imo) i still have mts in my tank (75 gall.) i put some assassins snails (5) in there. it did take some time but they started to breed and took care of my snail problem or kept it in check. now i got a happy balance and as the assassins. as they breed i take the bigger assassins to a lfs for trade. i still see both from time to time. and i dont have much problem from them.

micaiah12 said:

We ended up getting a wack load of common snails from new plants, the clown loaches cleared them up within a day. They are the little vacuums of the tank

Clowns loaches are a definite NO, they get absolutly massive! Also yo yo fish do not eat snails. Instead of finding a fish to fix your problems just try feeding less and maybe putting a snail trap in there.

Back
Top Bottom