Greedy Betta !!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tropicalfishlady

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi all,im really enjoying my new Betta,he is lovely :) I already had a julii Cory left over from a previous batch of fish I kept ive had Cory now for 2 & half years,so when I got Merlin my Male Crowntail I did hope he would get along with cory,ive had him about a month now and apart from odd flaring at Cory he seems ok with him.
Problem is at feed time,when I feed pellets,when its dry food day as i.also feed frozen live food,i feed my cory sinking wafers which he loves problem is Merlin after he has had his pellets,then spys the wafer on bottom and goes and eats it once he can grab onto it !!!!
The cory has managed to get some before Merlin nicks off with it,i.know Bettas will eat until they blow up so any ideas what I can do about it if anyone can help,many thanks :)

Drop the wafer behind some decorations. The cory will find it.

Drop the wafer behind some decorations. The cory will find it.

Cheers,it did end up yesterday behind a rock but Merlin got in lol,he us a devil !!! I love him though,i was thinking of dropping it somewhere he can't find it so thanks,i have real rocks and wood so I should manage,Bettas are v.apt though in turning theirs bodies around in a tight space as he still got it behind rock !!!

You can try only feeding after the lights go out. Your betta should have a harder time than the Cory finding it then.

If that doesn't work I would cup the betta during meals

You can try only feeding after the lights go out. Your betta should have a harder time than the Cory finding it then.

If that doesn't work I would cup the betta during meals

Thanks very much for help,will take all these ideas on board :) he is like a Dyson Hoover lol ;-)

My girls are like that too! I have a male that loves food so much that he goes into attack mode to get every single piece before they can drop lol actually now that I think about it, 2 of my boys do that

My girls are like that too! I have a male that loves food so much that he goes into attack mode to get every single piece before they can drop lol actually now that I think about it, 2 of my boys do that

Ha ha so thats Bettas for you is it lol,thanks for your help,everybody is so helpful on here :),i also try and help back if I can,uts 1st time ive had a Betta like.

Yep that's normal Betta behavior. All of mine do the same thing. I've quit worrying about it & don't drop the wafers but a few times a week to help a little bit. My Bettas will also eat the veggies I drop, they're just pigs disguised as fish. LOL.

I do the light out trick (don't have betta) my tetras try and steal cory's wafer but have no luck when lights out....cory's happy to have algae feast in the dark :)

Yep that's normal Betta behavior. All of mine do the same thing. I've quit worrying about it & don't drop the wafers but a few times a week to help a little bit. My Bettas will also eat the veggies I drop, they're just pigs disguised as fish. LOL.

Ahh rite thanks ;-) lol

My betta Lafayette flares at the cories, too, while they're feeding below. I think he's jealous.. just chases them off one by one but they're pretty casual about it and come right back.

What about some kind of sinking betta food? If he prefers it to the algae, could give him something to do other than harrassing the cories. Hmm, will have to look into that.. Best of luck!

My betta Lafayette flares at the cories, too, while they're feeding below. I think he's jealous.. just chases them off one by one but they're pretty casual about it and come right back.

What about some kind of sinking betta food? If he prefers it to the algae, could give him something to do other than harrassing the cories. Hmm, will have to look into that.. Best of luck!

Ha ha bless them lol,i did drop wafers in between some rocks while giving Merlin floating pellets,which gives time for cory to feed.mind Merlin still finds it and as a go later,crafty little wizard lol,i also have sinking pellets as well for both of them they float for so long then sink,so I float some for Merlin and sink some at same time for cory
Thanks for your reply !!!

Back
Top Bottom