greedy bettas eating themselves to death

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

James_in_MN

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm fully convinced that my female bettas may eat themselves to death.

My 20g tank has:
2 female bettas
5 five banded barbs
10 black neon tetras
3 ottos
10 ghost shrimp

I've been varying what I feed my fish from two types of flakes, to freeze dried brine shrimp, to freeze dried bloodworms. I just recently added freeze dried mysis shrimp and freeze dried tubifex worms to the menu because I heard that flake food can cause bloating in bettas.

What I've been doing is feeding one of the above variety to the fish, then every so often dropping in a couple of shrimp pellets for the ghost shrimp and an algae wafer in for the ottos. Unfortunately, the food I drop in doesn't always go toward the intended target.

My betta will eat the surface food with the black neons. My five banded barbs don't go to the surface, so they rarely get the surface food, only if it's sinking in the tank. My five banded barbs will instead go after the shrimp pellets, and so will the bettas even after they ate off the surface. Finally, my five banded barbs will pick a little at the algae wafer, but my bettas will actually munch on it even after eating off the surface and going after the shrimp pellets.

So, what I thought might have been flake blockage in my bettas, causing a bloated stomach, is just them being greedy little SOBs. :facepalm:

I imagine that I could alternate feedings, and put the shrimp pellets and algae wafer in one day, then surface food the next, but the bettas will go after all of it then.

Should I reconsider my centerpiece fish and exchange them for something else, like a GBR or dwarf gourami? And is there some way to get my five banded barbs to eat the higher variety surface food instead of the bottom feeder shrimp pellets?

Bettas are opportunistic feeders, and will eat whatever they get their greedy little jaws on. If it's a huge problem, you could give the Betta it's own tank.

I have a greedy little betta. I try to distract him with bloodworms (his favorite) in one corner of the tank while I give the other fish their food. Soak your pellets in a little bit of tank water before you put them in and they will be soft enough for everyone to eat immediately. (Honestly, this doesn't always work.)

My neighbour uses a breeder net ? it may have been plastic, to lure her betta into for feeding, so the other fish can eat without the betta hogging all the food. The betta just swam right in, it knows when the thing is in the water it means food time lol.

My male betta does the same. He eats everything that is dropped in the tank. I rave been dropping a wafer in after I turn out the light every other night or so to let the ghost shrimp and catfish get their food. It seems to be working for now.

Dried foods are bad for bettas. They will cause bloat and constipation. I would highly recommend you switch to frozen.

I have bettas in three community tanks and I'm not having this problem. They are actually getting all the food before the others have a chance then?

I have a greedy little betta. I try to distract him with bloodworms (his favorite) in one corner of the tank while I give the other fish their food. Soak your pellets in a little bit of tank water before you put them in and they will be soft enough for everyone to eat immediately. (Honestly, this doesn't always work.)

great advice. i soak ALL my food before it goes in the tank. flakes, pellets, frozen foods. not only will it instantly start sinking but it's already absorbed water and expanded, saving the fish from having the food expand in it's belly

Dried foods are bad for bettas. They will cause bloat and constipation. I would highly recommend you switch to frozen.

I have bettas in three community tanks and I'm not having this problem. They are actually getting all the food before the others have a chance then?

i agree. i'd avoid freeze-dried food for any fish, really. if you really have no other choice than freeze-dried, make sure you soak it for a good period of time before putting it in the tank. frozen is the way to go, though

I wasn't aware of not only flakes but freeze dried foods being not good for the fish. And I have a bunch of it, LOL.

I don't think that separating the bettas would work. The ottos and/or shrimp don't exactly eat those algae wafers fast enough; I don't like the thought of trying to keep the betta in a breeding net for hours.

Perhaps I should rethink bettas as a centerpiece fish for my tank and get something else? I'd probably have to give them away if I did.

I think you should try soaking your foods and try new foods before you just out your fish. You never know what will work. give it a shot before you give up on your betta

And you also don't know where the Betta might end up. Cramped in a tiny bowl, swimming in circles for hours on end... *shudder*

I wasn't aware of not only flakes but freeze dried foods being not good for the fish. And I have a bunch of it, LOL.

I don't think that separating the bettas would work. The ottos and/or shrimp don't exactly eat those algae wafers fast enough; I don't like the thought of trying to keep the betta in a breeding net for hours.

Perhaps I should rethink bettas as a centerpiece fish for my tank and get something else? I'd probably have to give them away if I did.

Actually the dried foods are worse than the flake. I have bettas in community tanks so I know they get some flake...it's kind of unavoidable. Do you feed the bettas pellets first? I always feed my community bettas a couple of their hikari pellets first, then I only see them nibble a bit at what I feed the rest of the tank.

I wonder if it's because of the two girls together. My betta sorority goes NUTS for food. At feeding time, it's all I can do to keep them in the tank because they jump like crazy. My females that are by themselves in community tanks are completely calm about feedings. Maybe the presence of another female betta brings out some crazy instinct in them or something!

What about feeding the Oto's veggies with a veggie clip? Maybe then they could get to it more. Or grow them some algae on stones. Algae wafers have a lot of stuff in them besides just vegetable matter why is what draws the bettas in. The shrimp I wouldn't worry about, they can do fine just scavenging.

Back
Top Bottom