Green Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vipergirl

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 5 gal bow front tank and even though I have been cutting down on light I still have an extreme amount of algae! What else can I do?
Thanks,
Ashley

nned more info...

PH=
Ammonia=
Nitrite=
Nitrate=

What kind of Light? Wattage adn type of bulb.

How long are the lights on?

Does that tank get natural light?

what inhabitants does the tank have?

yeah we need some more info, try to cvut back the feedings and do acomplete black out fo ra couple days and see if that helps

I have a 15 watt power compact bulb....ph=7.2, ammonia and nitrite=0, nitrate is around 20.....the lights were on 10 hours a day and now are on 8.... I have went 3 days without turning on the light and nothing really happened....it is not in an area that recieves natural light.....I have a betta and an african dwarf frog....I have had the same set up for 7 months and have not had a problem...I also feed almost every other day

that is a huge amount of light. are there live plants in the tank? if not, you might even consider removing it, or only having it on for a few hours a day. all that light, the delicious nutrients from the fish and frog waste, no plants to compete with, and it's algae heaven.

zenkatydid said:
that is a huge amount of light. are there live plants in the tank? if not, you might even consider removing it, or only having it on for a few hours a day. all that light, the delicious nutrients from the fish and frog waste, no plants to compete with, and it's algae heaven.
i agree

Back
Top Bottom