Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-04-2016, 12:43 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Angry Green algae blues...

OK so I have two live planted tanks and one is in the sun a bit more than the other and it has green algae issues.

Everything from green water to green algae (that, at it's worst, won't come off even with a scraper) on the sides of the tank. It got so bad I completely emptied and scrubbed the tank to clean it and now its coming back!

I understand that over feeding is often the culprit so since the major tank overhaul I have been very careful.

I leave the tank light on less at night (as I heard that can help algae grow)

I also do water changes to help control outbreaks!

I am happy with the tank in it's current spot so moving it is not an option I want to explore...

But is there a product that can help control this successfully with a betta, otto-cat and cherry shrimp living in the tank?

I also don't want to leach all helpful bacteria out of the tank (I am using microbe-lift and plant ferts). Can anyone help me eradicate this outbreak?! S.O.S.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2276.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	209.9 KB
ID:	287709   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2277.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	287710  

Old 07-04-2016, 02:28 PM   #2
Grand Poobah of Fish Poo

Can you put a background of some sort on the side facing the window to block the sun?

Old 07-08-2016, 02:14 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

definitely seconded on the background. But also just a thought, algae is a natural part of fishtanks, as long as the tank is balanced so it is not taking over, some algae is normal and healthy.

More otos (since they're schoolers) and a nerite snail could help. But if this is a small tank, it's probably pretty much stocked already and that would do more harm than good.

Adding fast growing plants to use up the light/ferts before the algae do can help a lot too!

Tags
algae, blue, green, green algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com