Green algae blues...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BettaChi

Aquarium Advice Regular
OK so I have two live planted tanks and one is in the sun a bit more than the other and it has green algae issues.

Everything from green water to green algae (that, at it's worst, won't come off even with a scraper) on the sides of the tank. It got so bad I completely emptied and scrubbed the tank to clean it and now its coming back! :banghead:

I understand that over feeding is often the culprit so since the major tank overhaul I have been very careful.

I leave the tank light on less at night (as I heard that can help algae grow)

I also do water changes to help control outbreaks!

I am happy with the tank in it's current spot so moving it is not an option I want to explore...

But is there a product that can help control this successfully with a betta, otto-cat and cherry shrimp living in the tank?

I also don't want to leach all helpful bacteria out of the tank (I am using microbe-lift and plant ferts). Can anyone help me eradicate this outbreak?! S.O.S.
:invasion::rocket:

Thanks!
:fish2:

Attachments

• IMG_2276.jpg
    IMG_2276.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_2277.jpg
    IMG_2277.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 61
definitely seconded on the background. But also just a thought, algae is a natural part of fishtanks, as long as the tank is balanced so it is not taking over, some algae is normal and healthy.

More otos (since they're schoolers) and a nerite snail could help. But if this is a small tank, it's probably pretty much stocked already and that would do more harm than good.

Adding fast growing plants to use up the light/ferts before the algae do can help a lot too!

Back
Top Bottom