Green Algae that is impossible to scrape off?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abw0004

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 25G tank that has been established for over a year now. On my water column in the back, there are spots of green algae on that grow on it. Algae usually no big deal for me as I clean my tank every week with the 40% water change. However, the algae on this is impossible to get rid of. I scrape so hard the tank moves and only a little comes off. What is this and what do I need to do to combat it? I have considered using a razor, but I have tried that. The tank is planted with floating plants and two moss balls, but I can't get rid of the algae.

If you're talking about green spots algae (GSA) impossible to remove, this is sign of healty tank I've heard.

You must know algae is not nuisible, and is good for the system, but only looks ugly. The best thing I know to remove green spot algae, is with a new razorblade attached to a kind of thing like that.

MP10006961978_P321146_500X500.jpg

If it still not work, you might consider bleaching the tank, but by experience, I can tell you're better to tolerate them than bleaching, as it causes a big mess !

In my planted tank, I keep weekly cleaning the front glass, and I don't care for the back glass, this add colors to the tank. I clean it once per 2-3 months, and I don't care about the little greenspot remaining at the end.

Personally, when I clean with this sponge (with the green side), with a lot of force and patience, green spots finish to scrape off.
Scrub-Sponge-300.jpg

(Make sure the green of the sponge is not made from metal, but from plastics).
Use a new one that you dedicate only for aquariums uses, aquariums won't tolerate soaps residues.

Also, depending on your photoperiod, you could probably reduce the lighting time, reducing the algae growths. Or maybe add a CO2 system, but this might not be usefull if your light is not strong enough.

I personally like the product "Seachem Excel" that simulate CO2 injection for killing algae.

Maybe adding fast growing plants like vallisneria to compete the algae could help ?

What's your photoperiod ?
What's your lighting system ? Watts, color (in kelvins), type (T8 or T5HO or T5 or LEDS...)
Are you dosing ferts ?

Green spot algae on the front glass is inevitable for two reasons. We keep it clean so it has no competition and it's the side of the rank that invariably gets the most external light.
I never clean the back and sides and the algae is controlled by snails and a plec. The front glass I clean weekly with a plastic pan scrubber (brand new and kept only for the tank). The magnetic glass cleaners are also good for a quick once over but doesn't do as good a job as getting your hands wet with a scrubber.
I use Excel which is great for plant growth and algae control (BB, hair algae etc.) but it doesn't seem to affect green spot.
In my mind having a low level of algae is fine and healthy as long as it doesn't start to take over.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom