Green Cloudy Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

razzle67

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

I have a 29 Galloon tank with live plants. I have 100k light and a regular daytime light. Both are 20 watts.

First question is this two much light ? I use to have salt water but when I moved decided to go with fresh water since I'm working away from home, almost all the time.

There is no algae growth on the glass or ornaments, the water is a cloudy green, which I’m assuming is algae growth of some kind.

Fish seem not to mind since they are all still alive. The plants have doubled in size since introduced (2 months old). Have 4 plants

I do a 50 % water change once a month.
Tank has been set up for three months. Using Greensboro NC tap Water
If anyone know where I could get RO Water in that area would be greatly appreciated.

Hope I provided enough info.

Thanks in Advance

Increase your water change schedule. Try 25% per week. This should help keep the disolved solids down, and remove any trace elements that you plants don't use, but algae might.

Life.

Any organic matter in the tank will eventually decompose, and some of that will end up as disolved solids. This includes plants, fish waste, fish food - everything.

A lot of the commentary focuses in on 3 main elements: Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates. Ammonia is a waste product from your fish, but it's not the _only_ waste product. Ammonia (very harmful) is converted to Nitrites (very harmful), then to Nitrates (not that harmful), which are used by plants and removed during a water change.

But those aren't the only substances in the water - those are just the big 3 used as indicators of the health of your tank. When you see people recommending PWCs to keep Nitrates below 20ppm, you need to understand that Nitrates aren't the only thing that needs to be removed. The level of nitrates is also being used as an indicator that there are too many disolved solids.

This can be a big issue in a well planted tank, where the plants keep the nitrates low. For example, my nitrates rarely test over 5ppm in my 29G tank because my plants are using them almost as fast as they are being produced. But the other disolved solids are still accumulating, and I still need to do PWCs to remove them from the tank.

Hope this helps!

I'd say your green water is definitely caused by algae. For a quick fix for the clarity of the water, I've had good experience with Algone, but thats only curing the symptoms.

Algae is mostly caused by either light or nutrients(but you know this). You don't seem to have too much light. I think you meant a 10,000K and I would guess your daylight bulb is either 5,500 or 6,700. You have enough light to be considered a low light tank, so what are your phosphate, CO2, and iron levels at? I would guess you have too many nutrients for your plants to handle at your current lighting levels and the algae is feasting.

And as far as too much light, it depends on how fast your plants grow, and how much CO2 you have. I used a 65w 6700 and a 65w 5500 on a 36 gallon, but I also had pressurized CO2. My plants sucked up the nutrients so fast the algae just couldn't compete.

RO is a great place to start and will most likely solve your problems. I would advise against buying RO water, cause its a pain in the butt to transport and over time costs just as much if not more than making your own. If you can afford it, try to find a good 3 or 4 stage unit. (Sorry, can't remember which brand I have.)

Back
Top Bottom