green hairlike algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquarium 308

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok in my 20 tall im running a finnex planted plus. I dose api leaf zone once a week and api co2 booster about every other day. Plants are doing well. I have 4 otos in it but I never noticed a difference in algae with them in there. Hanging from the filter and the plants i have a green hair algae. How do I get rid of it. Does anyone know what causes it

Phosphate is what causes the green algae's. Get phosphate absorbent pad and probably a phosphate test kit. In the mean time get some shrimp to eat the hair algae you already have. Perhaps ask at the pet store what green hair algae eaters they have. Not all algae eaters eat all types of algae.

Hi. If your tank set up encourages green hair algae then algae grazers will only be a temporary fix, like mowing a lawn. When I had a break out, after a two week holiday, it had grown through all my moss, so not easy to physically remove. I spot treated it daily with Excel/Glut. Turn off the filters and bubblers for a few minutes to allow the water to settle down. Using a pipette or syringe squirt the Excel/Glut into the algae. Leave it for about five minutes and put the filters and bubblers back on. After 24 hours the algae treated should turn red and then dissolve over a day or two. This needs to be repeated daily until the algae has gone. It took me about ten days to rid my tank as you have to do a small area at a time. I now dose the tank with Excel/Glut daily and the algae has not returned. The plants appreciate the extra carbon source provided by the Excel so it was a win win situation, however some plants, such as Vals, do not like Excel or Glut. My crypts, Java Fern and Mosses were fine.
As no water changes were done while I was on holiday, I am assuming this prompted the onset of the algae, but it might have been a coincidence.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I also have a green, fuzzy algae that always grows on my Manzanita branches that I put into my tank. I was wondering how to get rid of it. I guess I'll try the
suggestions here. It only grows on the Manzanita.

Back
Top Bottom