Green Neon Tetras?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cmwalters

Aquarium Advice Activist
Does anyone know anything about green neons? My lfs has some in the nano tank and he says they generally don't get an inch long. Is this true? I looked it up and found a short Wikipedia article but that was pretty much all the information I could find. The reason I'm asking is I was wondering with they could go in a 2.5G ( 12x6x8 ) heavily planted tank. I've been really interested in nano planted tanks for a while and would love to start one up. I think it would be cool to have 3-4 nano fish in with some shrimp. I was looking at some of the micro rasboras or maybe a pair of male endlers along with some shrimp. I'm just spitballing here and I know most people would be against anything other than a betta in a 2.5 but I also know some people have had success with a few fish in a 2.5. It wouldn't bother me if I just had shrimp in the tank. That was the original plan, but I think the addition if a few small fish would be cool. Thanks in advance.

Many nano fish tend to be kind of shy and skittish and often do better in larger groups ime. So, I generally would not recommend just getting 3 of these. I know it seems like a silly line, but in the case of nano fish, I always try to start with at least 4-6 unless I know that the specific fish I am looking at will be fine in a smaller number.
One of the issues with keeping fish in very small tanks is that the parameters get out of whack quickly, and a smaller water volume gives you less room for error when dealing with water changes ect. I have noticed that my errors in smaller tanks tanks tend to be catastrophic.
Personally, I would not do it for the reason aforementioned that my own personal experience has taught me. However, if you want fish, I would instead suggest you look into the least killifish or possibly the pygmy sunfish or scarlet badi. Maybe a single dwarf puffer (mmmmaaaayyyyybbbbeeee). These are all fish that do alright in smaller spaces, and do not need as big of a group for their well-being.
Some people would probably be fine with putting the green neons in your tank though. It depends on what you, personally are comfortable with. They tend to be a shy fish, and generally swim horizontally in the upper parts of the tank.

I would not recommend buying these fish. They're dyed, dyed fish do not have a very long life span and it's just plain cruel.

Green neons are not dyed.They are actually not a true neon tetra, but another type of tetra and do accur in nature their type is Paracheirodon simulanswhile true neons are
Paracheirodon innesi and the cardinals are Paracheirodon axelrodi. They are all brightly colored and not dyed.
That said all 3 species need a minium of a 10g tank 20g is better and a school of at least 5 but the more the better to make them feel comfortable. A 2.5 nano tank is not a good choice for them and is better suited to a betta and or shrimp colonies.

Hm wow cool. Didn't know, hearing green that's what I thought of haha

Thanks for the input, I have thought about the least killifish or the Pygmy sunfish. I wouldn't want to do a dwarf puffer for the fact they would eat shrimplets and I know they are a very smart, inquisitive fish that likes to explore and it wouldn't be happy in such a small tank. I am more interested in a small schooling/shoaling fish that would fit in a nano tank like that. I knew it was a long shot but I figured I would ask you guys. Oh and fishlover, here is a pic:

Attachments

• image-71472802.jpg
    image-71472802.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 119
Back
Top Bottom