Green Phantom Pleco Food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Patterson333

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all!

About two weeks ago, at the grand opening of a lfs near me, I picked up a gorgeous Hi-fin Green Phantom Pleco. I've had him in my ten gallon QT since I got him, but I was wondering, just what do these guys eat? I dropped algae wafers in there when I got him and he didn't seem too interested. I've also dropped NLS pellets in there, and he didn't seem fond of those either. I read online that they'll sometimes take meaty foods, and I've also read they'll take vegetables like cucumber, any recommendations? And if I do give him veggies, how should I prepare them?

There isn't all that much information on them online, the little I have found has been mostly off of one website: (Piranha-Info.com© :: Green Phantom Pleco "Hi-Fin"). Any info would be appreciated! Thanks!

Oh and in case anyone was wondering what he looked like, here he is. He only cost me $32, and from what I've seen online that was a really good deal.

Attachments

• image-1274974097.jpg
    image-1274974097.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 205
It may take some time to get used to the food, but NLS pellets and canned green beans should be a decent diet. My BN thrive on it, and their dietary needs are about the same.

Oh ok, good to hear! One more quick question. As I said before, I've had him in my ten gallon QT for about two weeks now, but I kind of want to give him an extended quarantine.

It just so happened that I went to the store I got him at the day after, and I saw some really bad Ick in some of their tanks. I don't want to take any risks with my main, so I was hoping to QT him for at least a month, if not more. Will he be alright in my 10 gallon QT for that long? Or should I just pass him over to my main?

Cucumbers & zucchini are good for my pleco. I cut a thickish (1/4") slice, blanch till a bit soft (say 20-30 sec in a microwave with a bit of water), and leave it in the tank for 24 hours or so.

If yours is like mine, he will only eat when the light is out. then he goes for the algae on the glass, bits of veggies & any pellets the goldfish missed.

I don't know if it is true for your pleco as well, but BN & RL plecos like to have a bit of driftwood to gnaw on.

How big is the fish? It looks pretty small so should be OK in a 10 for a month.

I'd make sure the pleco is eating before moving out of QT, but if Ich was present it would have been apparent by now. Have you treated it for possible parasites? Green phantoms are imported fish, and may or may not have been properly "decontaminated" before arriving at your lfs. If the belly isn't sunken after 2 weeks in a bare 10 gallon tank chances are good the fish is healthy and eating something.

Yea there haven't been any signs of Ick. And his stomach is still round so I don't think he's got any problems there either.

Thanks for the advice! I'm gonna go out and buy him a cucumber today.

Oh and there's wood in my main, but none in my QT. I might get a little piece though, I think they look nice and I'm sure he'd appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom