Green Puffer Death at School, Unknown problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Puriti

Aquarium Advice Addict
Our green puffer at school died randomly for an unknown reason today and we still can't figure out why it died. All of the water quality has been maintained around the same and the puffer was just floating around barely swimming. He got really light colored when we were trying to catch him and put him in a breeder net to keep him from roaming around and smacking into things and was so stressed out that he was starting to puff out. He got really dark colored before he died and then his mouth was twitching so we put him in the freezer to euthanize him. We still can't figure out what happened, does any one have any suggestions? There was no ammonia, the SG went down .002 and I don't remember any of the other things but everything was pretty normal for the tank. Please help, my teacher is devastated and can't find a reason.

He got really dark colored before he died and then his mouth was twitching so we put him in the freezer to euthanize him.

At one point in time I too use to use this method for cold blooded animals until a very diseased boa constrictor I had put in the freezer for 24 hours to euthanize it, then placed in a trash bag outside after and it ended up crawling to my front porch. It was certainly very disheartening and will never use the freezer method again.

Here are some basic questions...

How many gallons is the tank?
How long has the tank been up and running with fish?
What type of filter?
What food was fed and how often?
What other fish are in the tank if any?
What are the number results of the water tests for ammonia, nitirte, nitrate, and pH?

He is brackish

TCTFish said:
Here are some basic questions...

How many gallons is the tank?
How long has the tank been up and running with fish?
What type of filter?
What food was fed and how often?
What other fish are in the tank if any?
What are the number results of the water tests for ammonia, nitirte, nitrate, and pH?

30 gal
4 years -- Puffer has been in tank that long
Aqua Clear Power Filter
frozen krill, clams, freeze dried krill
3 guppies and 2 mollies
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrates- 20 ppm
pH - 7.8
SG - 1.011

Water changes done on a regular basis
Everything has always been perfect, he just died

>__< eeee help! lol

All I can really think of is perhaps he hit his head on something and caused neural damage. Maybe trying to jump. You did mention erratic swimming (smacking into things). Water quality looks good and if the other fish haven't shown any signs of illness or distress, then there shouldn't be any worries of disease in the tank. You've had the puffer for 4 years which is better than what most people keep them for. The stresses of captive life may actually lessen their life spans and these guys are rarely captive bred.

Maybe :? My teacher just wanted to see if she could get an explanation for what happened because he's been perfectly fine up until that happened and we couldnt' rely on the mollies or guppies because it takes a heck of a lot to kill them, especially when the mollies are mine ^^;;;

When did the guppies and mollies go into the tank? I'm surprised whenever anyone sticks other fish in with them, but being there's salt in the water it could explain why the puffer didn't attack them. Salt seems to have a connection with their aggression levels. Less salt...more aggressive.

There are times when finding an explanation just comes to a halt. Bio isn't showing anything. If the puffer were stressed and released any toxins in the water, the other fish would be affected, so that doesn't seem to apply here. No obvious wounds. Unless the the other fish were recently introduced and carried something to hurt the puffer (parasitic or bacterial), then there's really not much else. Erratic swimming and banging into things can suggest neural damage. It's the only thing that makes any sense in this case. Unless a necropsy is done on the fish, that's the only explanation available. That would be the answer I'd give the teacher. Neural damage. As of how, you'd need to do a necropsy.

The guppies were introduced like 6 months ago as feeder guppies and he didn't treat them as such so they've just been in there and we put the mollies in a couple months ago.

I still think it was some sort of neural injury/damage most likely from smashing into things. Something could have scared him. Maybe a guppy or molly took a nip at his tail suddenly. Lights going on or off suddenly. Shadows. Vibrations. Many things scare fish that could've sent him off. I don't think the guppies or mollies passed anything to him. They've been in the tank for a while. Still, keep an eye on them. You never know, but everything does seem to be OK.

Back
Top Bottom