Green sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Seeker_7

Aquarium Advice Regular
Last week, I posted a pic of brown sand that I thought might be related to a feeder block as it was only in that area. General consensus was that it was diatoms and would go away on its own. They have cleared up mostly and now a green film is starting to grow on sand in those places. It's made the top layer of sand thick and chunked together. When I tried to do my weekly water change this morning, I couldn't get the sand clean because the poop and plant matter that the fish kick up was stuck in the chunks of sand. The green is subtle, but bright and just starting to show up/spread. Is THAT cyano?

Attachments

• 20140322_110524 (800x450).jpg
    20140322_110524 (800x450).jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 136
Bump. Anyone? I don't want to treat the tank for cyano if that's not what it is. Any help would be appreciated.

Looks like it, but this isn't the most clear picture. I had a cyanobacteria problem in my planted tank a few months ago.

There are chemical treatments that claim the ability to clear the growth. I've read that people have used them with success.

I used a three day blackout to clear the growth. My plants were unaffected.

For my outbreak, It turned out that I had my lights on for too long everyday. After the blackout, I reduced the amount of time that my lights were on from 10 hrs/day to 8hrs/day. It did not grow back.

A closer photo would help, but it looks like the beginning of a cyanobacteria outbreak to me. Nasty stuff.

I have added 2 pics that are hopefully better. Assuming cyano at this point. I also have tiny little polka dots on my glass that are bright green. Too small to get a picture of. Some are thick and wave in the current.

I have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrate, 0 nitrite

I don't know my phosphate levels yet. My local store doesn't carry a test kit. I ordered it from Amazon and it will be here today. I can let you know that reading later.

I have a java moss tree, some glosso, crypt parva, dwarf sag, water sprite, water wisteria and ludwigia repens. I have only been treating with excel so far, but I've ordered several other things that came in last night. I have 2 T5 lights. It's a 62.5 gallon tank. The lights are 1fluval life T5 HO 54 watt 6700k and 1 fluval spectrum T5HO 54W 18000K

If you can think of any other info you need, I'm happy to add more. I have been reading about cyano for several days now, so I realize I must figure out why it's here if I want to get rid of it and NOT have it return.
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• cyano.jpg
    cyano.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 72
  • cyano 2.jpg
    cyano 2.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 82
That's a growing cyanobacteria colony.

It took me two long weeks to figure out that my outbreak was cause by leaving my lights on for too long every day.

Thanks! I figured. I think the stuff on the glass might have been beard or hair algae. Whatever it was is gone this morning. I will keep watching. Now to deal with the cyano.

Back
Top Bottom