Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-25-2004, 03:25 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

green spot algae

hey all

when I decided to change my background to black cardobard I discovered these little green spots dotted around the back wall of my tank. it was very hard to scrap off and most of it is still there.

I was wondering what type of algae it is and what is causing it and how to get rid of it successfully.

tia
grant

Old 11-25-2004, 10:25 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to madasafish
Yep, it's a healthy, photosynthetic algae (though, ideally, you don't really want very much algae). It is a pain to remove (scrubbing will do it after about 10 strokes), but it shows that you're tank has a fair amount of light. Nothing to worry about.

One other method of getting rid of it is a razorblade angled flush to the glass.

Old 11-26-2004, 11:38 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via ICQ to MantisX Send a message via AIM to MantisX Send a message via MSN to MantisX Send a message via Yahoo to MantisX
Dosing phosphates got rid of all my spot algae problems. The only time I scrub my glass now is for the occasional brownish film.
Old 11-27-2004, 12:46 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My brother (apocalypsegold) also uses a razor blade, but I am scared that I would scratch the glass, so I use a credit card. I get lots of fake ones in junk mail and finally found a use for them.

I know what you mean about the stuff being hard to get off. I used to scrub so hard I was worried about breaking the glass and the stuff still would not come off. It just needed to be scraped instead of scrubbed.

Tags
algae, spot

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com