green spotted puffer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Generally, since they brackish, they need the Specific gravity to be around 1.005. That being said, they need brackish tank-mates. So, Mollies, Scats, Monos, Archerfish, bumblebee goby, and other GSP's are possible tank mates. Just be cautious when housing them with any tank-mates (besides their own kind), they are known to be aggressive fin-nippers (really, I think a species only tank would be best).

Since they get 6" , they need at least 30 gallons to housed in. They need a already cycled aquarium to be put in, they are very sensitive to any trace ammonia and nitrite, and need low nitrates.

The diet of the puffer should be varied. You will need to supplement their diet with snails no bigger than the size of their eye (the shells of these snails will wear down their beak-like teeth, which would grow so long that they would no longer be able to eat.) and meaty foods.

Hope this helped.

Thanks. The big pet chain I went to had them in with gouramis and neons so I guess they didn't have it in brackish. Dosnt surprise me. Why do big chains treat fish as "just stock" my lfs are just a small shop but are much more proffesional

Yeah, I guess its just for profit. Big chain stores usually sell them as 'freshwater', but they are truly brackish.

They also shouldn't really have any tankmates you do not want them to eat.

Just traded in my GSP, but yes they are brackish but eventually (as adults) need to be in full saltwater. They need to be fed live crayfish and/or snails. They will also eat live Ghost Shrimp but can also feed on beef heart and frozen bloodworms/brine shrimp.

The crayfish/snails are essential, without it their 'beak' will grow and stop them being able to eat.

VERY, VERY aggressive. You have been warned. Minimum tank size 30 gal for ONE.

Back
Top Bottom