Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-19-2014, 08:11 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Green Spotted Puffer care?

I'm dealing with my first snail invasion at the moment, (but I don't want to completely get rid of the little guys, since they keep things clean), so I decided to grab what my LFS called a 'Leopard Puffer' to weed out the population as it comes. He's about 3 inches or so right now, and the store owner said that full grown in a properly managed tank, he could do fairly well in a 10 gallon, possibly with another GSP. Now, I plan on grabbing a bigger tank for him this weekend, so do I just stick with the 10 gal? Will that be big enough for his needs? I plan on going overboard with the filtration, and I am very strict about my water changes and water testing.

I've also read that as they grow bigger they transition to brackish. I have aquarium salt, but I don't really use it unless I bring in a fish with damaged fins or fin rot. Is it necessary to transition him to brackish over time, or will he do well in freshwater?

Old 11-20-2014, 08:49 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here i a link to a puffer pedia that describes all three types of puffers. It is a great forum for all things puffer. It should be able to help you figure out what your puffer needs. Good luck with him.

Old 11-20-2014, 08:50 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Guess it would help if I added the ling. LOL
The Puffer Forum • The PufferPedia
Old 11-20-2014, 09:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildroseofky View Post
Guess it would help if I added the ling. LOL
The Puffer Forum • The PufferPedia
Thank you! I have been doing research, and I guess I need to keep him in at least brackish, maybe transition to marine when he gets bigger. I'm going to be getting his 20 gallon tank tonight, and start setting it up over the next few weeks. I'll check that forum out!
Old 11-21-2014, 02:31 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Really if you wanted a fish just to control the population I'd go with botias or supposedly gouramis do the trick too. Both fish are peaceful for the most part and will eat prepared foods unlike puffers.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Rule number two: Always cycle your tank.
bettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 09:12 PM   #6

I was considering getting a loach, but I fell in love with the puffers at my LFS. I don't mind setting up a few feeder tanks to keep them well fed and spoiled. I love seeing them hunt, especially ghost shrimp.

20 G: 2 Green Spotted Puffers
kr1st3n is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
care, green, green spotted puffer, puffer, spot

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com