Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-14-2019, 01:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Unhappy Green Spotted Puffer-constipated

Hi,

I am a newbie to the group. My green spotted puffer fish, Dave is 2 and half year old. Lives by himself in a 20 gallon long tank. His water parameters are as follows: salinity 1.010. Water temp 81:amonia 0 nitrite o and nitrates 0. Ph 8.2. Sand substrate. Double filtration. Airation. Diet : mainly pellets since freeze dried krill. W/c every 2 weeks.

I noticed 2 weeks ago. Stand off-ish behavior not eating. ( think I overfed and filter was full of gunk. Did 3 consecutive w/c. Finally enticed with bloodworms soaked in garlic. Devoured it. Then next night took some bites out of clam in a half shell. Then no appetite for a few days. Tried 2 Epsom salt baths ( 10 min) .currently trying low dosage of Epsom salth in tank (1/8 teaspoon = 5 gallons for 24-48 hours. After 2 days of north eating put in a ghost shrimp ( his first hunt). He devoured it !!.

He appears more hungry and aliitle more active. Soaking food in diluted Epsom salt solution. He ate a ghost shrimp yesterday ( his first hunt!). And one this morning .

He hasn't pooped for a week (at least). I'm worried about my baby. Any suggestions will greatly be appreciated. Thank you.

Old 03-14-2019, 04:55 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yours eats pellets?!? That's amazing.. post a pic. If hes eating than hes healthy.. healthy enough.. sick fish typically do not eat. A sick puffer will probably still eat a little?? Try frozen spirulina brine shrimp. Mine love it and it keeps everything moving to its final destination... anyways.. post a pic. Let's see how he looks.

Old 03-15-2019, 11:08 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

http://photos.app.goo.gl/6V3HALd5JM8qmT7W6

Hi

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes , my Davey Baby love his pellets. They are by New Life Spectrum THERA+A large fish formula. Made from Krill and Algae. Nice and hard for his teeth. And easily digestible. They are sinking pellets with garlic. Guess that helps!!

I hope my video went through
Old 03-16-2019, 12:44 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Double check the water parameters of temp and salinity. Maybe pooped when you didn't notice. Ever try Brine shrimp live? Supposed to help pooping and most fish like chasing them down.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -5G Spec V Snails & Betta
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 12:57 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Hi,

I checked very thoroughly. He is a messy pooper. He poops like a dog. I found a long skinny leaf like pop today. It was like he passed a long leaf. I checked his plastic plant decor very carefully. I found the smaller plants with bite Mark's. I removed them. My reef store people suggest he is needing hard shell substance and recommend s I get some snails or clams. But worried he isnt ready for big meals. He appears more hungry today. Fed 2 small pellets and a small piece if freeze dried krill fir fiber and still using the Epsom salt treatment. Websites seem to suggest only feeding veggie based food such as peas. But I'm told by one pet store gsp dont eat veggies. But not understanding gsp are omnivores and will eat things like algae. I wonder if he was eating the plastic plant to get fiber instinctively. I read that gsp have a shorter digestive tract compared to herbivores who have longer ones and as a result can handle veggies. Can GPS handle peas. Any ideas? Thanks
Old 03-16-2019, 01:11 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Hi again. I gave him some live ghost shrimp (3). This got him active and thought the bones would provide some fiber. But no luck. The clock is ticking on this little guy. I'm really worried
Old 03-16-2019, 02:08 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Good news he finally pooped !! Soooo happy !!!!!!! Thank you for your input and support!! ����������������
Old 03-16-2019, 04:51 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Good news. I had just heard today about the tank temperature affecting a Bettas a utility to poop. Also observe if any signs of internal parasites. Wild caught are frequently infested. Outbreakes can pop up from stress. Dont know about that one, but mentioning just in case. Also yes maybe some more harder foods. I don't have this fish's info in my keeping history. So maybe more members who keep them can get some better specifics.

Does he chomp up the shells of the half clams?

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?

Community Rules

FW & SW
Old 03-16-2019, 10:53 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Hi -he chomps on half shells. I will keep an eye on parasites possibility. From now on I will not overfeed him and give him more shell type food. And try and sneak in some more fiber too. I also bought the Sachem magnesium ( fish Epsom salt ) to keep on hand and now know the correct dosage for my 15 gallon tank ( tablespoon and a half). Wow- I sound like a true fish person !!
Old 03-16-2019, 12:34 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Like a fish parent.

After seeing a Puffer posted on CL, I've been starting to read and learn more about them and their care.

Do you have a pic of yours?

Community Rules

FW & SW

Tags
ate, green, green spotted puffer, puffer, spot

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com