Green spotted puffer fish. Salt water or brackish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Glene20

Aquarium Advice Freak
Alot of people argue over this. Some people say brackish and some say saltwater. Some even have there green spotted puffer in freshwater. So which is it?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Alot of people argue over this. Some people say brackish and some say saltwater. Some even have there green spotted puffer in freshwater. So which is it?

Brackish

I've seen GSP adults kept in full marine set ups very successfully.

The way I've always known it is that juveniles do best in brackish while adults do best in marine. Full fresh hardly ever works long term

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

To follow that up, the longest I've seen anyone report their GSP living for in FW is 2 years. That is terribly short for a 15 year lifespan. And that's if they live that long.

My local pet shop keeps them in fresh water tank. Its just confusing

We've talked to the manager of one of our local stores about it before. They don't want to cycle a brackish tank, and they don't want to limit what fish they can put in it.
Most stores just don't care what happens. They just want the sale. This doesn't apply to everyone, but it's sadly the case for most.

I bought mine at a lfs that kept it in brackish. I matched the salinity in my tank to theirs. I have been adding 1 tablespoon of marine salt per gallon at each water change and will increase it slowly as the puffer gets bigger. Right now I'm at SG 1.010.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Mine I bought from my lfs. It was being kept in a breeder box inside a FW tank. It had been separated into the box after bullying the other fish. (Cichlids if I remember correctly) Very dark in color, extremely unhappy. She's much fatter and brighter now, SG currently at 1.014.
You see a huge difference from them being kept in FW. More active, better coloring, and a much longer life span.

Mine I bought from my lfs. It was being kept in a breeder box inside a FW tank. It had been separated into the box after bullying the other fish. (Cichlids if I remember correctly) Very dark in color, extremely unhappy. She's much fatter and brighter now, SG currently at 1.014.
You see a huge difference from them being kept in FW. More active, better coloring, and a much longer life span.

How big is yours? Mine is a little over 1 inch. Still pretty small. I will most likely keep mine in high end brackish, as I don't want a saltwater tank.

How big is yours? Mine is a little over 1 inch. Still pretty small. I will most likely keep mine in high end brackish, as I don't want a saltwater tank.

An inch, many an inch and a half. Still small. I'm not raising the salinity anymore until I get her into a 75, with the saltwater works. (Sump, protein skimmer, etc.)

Okay, so i kept a bunch of these guys, and have done more than enough research, i even did an experiment with them and conversion of a tank into full reef marine. They should never be kept in fresh. In Nature they are never in freshwater and they shouldnt be in captivity either. but, young ones are born and grow and develop in brackish streams. In fact they do better min brackish than in salt. if they are in full saltwater they will not develop correctly and have a multitude of problems. But as they youngens grow they travel down stream into full marine and reef environments only going back to brackish to lay their own eggs. An adult can liver in a brackish tank, but its just not its natural environment and they will visibly be much happier in full salt. Because of this these are tricky fish to keep truly happy, they need a tank that changes with their needs as they grow.

Okay, so i kept a bunch of these guys, and have done more than enough research, i even did an experiment with them and conversion of a tank into full reef marine. They should never be kept in fresh. In Nature they are never in freshwater and they shouldnt be in captivity either. but, young ones are born and grow and develop in brackish streams. In fact they do better min brackish than in salt. if they are in full saltwater they will not develop correctly and have a multitude of problems. But as they youngens grow they travel down stream into full marine and reef environments only going back to brackish to lay their own eggs. An adult can liver in a brackish tank, but its just not its natural environment and they will visibly be much happier in full salt. Because of this these are tricky fish to keep truly happy, they need a tank that changes with their needs as they grow.
I'm just curious here, but have you ever kept or heard anything about the Fugu Orange Saddle puffer? They're unique, where they go from fresh to brackish and finally full saltwater as adults. I had one for a little while before I lost her. She was an adult when I bought her at the LFS, and should've been in full salt. They had her in FW. It was several months before she died but it was pretty devastating. Such a gorgeous puffer. They rarely last in captivity sadly. I'd love to find a juvenile Fugu and try again but haven't been able to yet.

I have not, I looked them up and they are beautiful, that sounds really interesting especially if you could go through the entire cycle from fresh to marine

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Alot of effort for one fish

Raising the salinity is actually easy enough. (Not my picture) But this is pretty accurate.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1428007848021.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1428007848021.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 158
Back
Top Bottom