green spotted puffer in a 10g tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

papa_bear_21

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is it possible? or would I need a bigger tank for him? Also, what other fish could I put in with him? I know they are brackish fish, and intend to startup a brackish tank for him. What kind of community can I have with him? I am looking to startup a brackish community, and have atleast a spotted puffer, and a fish for my fiance. She's got her eye on the mono sebae, can the mono and puffer live together?

Also, what are ideal tank perameters for brackish water, in regards to salinity, and any others to test for other than the regulars? Will the freshwater test kit work for brackish, or would I need a different kit?

I know there are a lot of questions, and I appreciate everyone's help.

Bear

*EDIT*
I read on a website that the spotted green puffer (Tetraodon nigroviridis) is a freshwater very agressive fish. My LFS has them in a brackish tank, which I can vouch it was them, they had 2 or 3 different puffers in the same tank. I also read that they are very agressive, and do not play well with others...in fact, it eats others...So now my big question is, are these lil guys fresh or brackish fish? If brackish, my previous questions still stand. If freshwater, will they be good in a 10 gallon tank? If not, what size would be recommended?

Thanks in advance

Bear

Hard and fast rules for keeping aggressive fish together:

1. larger the tank the better. Allows for territories to be created farther away from one another and hopefully limits #2...

2. Reduce line of sight. If the fish infrequently see's the other fish there is less chance for aggression. Things like rock formations, plants, caves, and other decorations help to break up the line of sight in a tank.

3. Equal size and temperment is a good starting point (but far from a guaranteed solution). When adding aggressive fish together generally you want to keep them of the same size. Big/small often ends with just big. Same goes with temperament of the fish. I have a semi-aggressive tank with tiger barbs and a dwarf gourami. Prior to getting the dwarf gourami (I had 6 tigers at the time) I realized they would cause problems if the gourami couldn't hold his own. Out of the 20 or so dwarf gouramis I selected the alpha male in the tank. He now has control over the tank and fortunately seems to be the good ruler, that is no one messes with him and he seems to keep the other tank mates from attacking each other. (win win!)

As for your specific question, no, a GSP cannot be kept in a 10 gallon tank. I think a 55 is a good size, 75-100 being ideal. They are brackish. They are also extremely aggressive and will attack fish much larger. I've read they can be kept with some species of cichlids, but like any aggressive mixing trial and error will probably need to occur. Oh and a diet composed of snails is a must. Seems to be a very interesting species that requires a good bit of work to allow them to thrive. I see one of these guys in my future (with a much larger tank of course).

HTH

I appreciate the response, and the information provided is of huge help. My main confusion is in the information found while researching this fish, and the vast difference in such information. One site says they are freshies, and another says they are high end brackish to marine. I have no problem creating the habitat they need, just may take longer if they require a full marine environment in a larger tank. I saw on a site that the minimum tank size for the GSP is 24 inches, and while I would only start him out in this size until I got the big tank setup, it would give him a place to himself for the time being. I've also read that the temperment on the GSP is anywhere from tame as a newborn kitten to being lucifer himself, there again, I also read that the GSP is often time confused with a different type of puffer. The only reason I ask so many questions is because I want to create to perfect environment for this lil guy to grow and thrive in, and possibly have a nice tank mate or 2. He's a cute fish, and one that caught my eye while researching others. I intend to get one, once all my research is complete, and his home is setup and ready to go.

I do appreciate the help, and am not trying to second guess your knowledge, but rather correct what I have read.

Thank you again

Bear

GSP, 55gal minimum, no way! lol

30gal minimum is what i say, they get 6 inches. THe cannot be kept with any other fish so one in a 30gal would be fine. Although these puffers are brackish fish when they are young, they need full salt once they get older. They ARE NOT FRESHWATER.

If you want a brackish puffer go with figure eights. Same thing goes for them, except they dont need full saltwater as adults.

I had 55 as minimum expecting the OP to also have other fish in the tank. Few people (I would guess) will have the self control to have a large tank for a single fish. Maybe at first but after seeing how many people keep them successfully in co-habitation with other fish, most people would be hard pressed not to try. And in that case a 55 would be the min IMO.

And papa_bear_21, no problem. Seems there are two GSP species that are widely different in temperment (and why I think there is so much contradiction). The specific species you mentioned is considered the aggressive type, while the other is considered more docile. Like most fish though, I would guess its individual specifc and not just the breed.

Thanks to both of you for the help

**EDIT**

It seems that the spotted congo (Tetraodon schoutedeni), the green puffer (Tetraodon fluviatilis), and the GSP (Tetraodon nigroviridis) all have a tendancy to be confused with each other, the spotted congo being the freshwater species, and the other 2 being brackish. The congo spotted puffer also seems to be a more mild tempered fish, while the other 2 appear to be rather unfriendly, and tend to eat their friends. The GSP and the GP both say that they can be kept with a mono sebae, which is the fish my fiance wants to get when we get the puffer. Would the mono truely be a suitable tank mate for the GSP in an ideally large tank? I do appreciate the helpful responses

Provided the tank is rather large you may be able to house monos and t. nigroviridis or t. fluviatilis together. You would just need to have a backup plan in case the puffer starts harassing the monos.I have a T. nigroviridis in an 80 gallon tank and he is the only fish in it. I have not tried to keep other fish with it so I can't tell you what his temperment is like but it is unlikely I will get any other fish for the tank.

From what I have read, the T. schoutedani has not been available in this country for quite a while.

papa_bear_21 said:

**EDIT**

It seems that the spotted congo (Tetraodon schoutedeni), the green puffer (Tetraodon fluviatilis), and the GSP (Tetraodon nigroviridis) all have a tendancy to be confused with each other, the spotted congo being the freshwater species, and the other 2 being brackish. The congo spotted puffer also seems to be a more mild tempered fish, while the other 2 appear to be rather unfriendly, and tend to eat their friends. The GSP and the GP both say that they can be kept with a mono sebae, which is the fish my fiance wants to get when we get the puffer. Would the mono truely be a suitable tank mate for the GSP in an ideally large tank? I do appreciate the helpful responses

One of the unfortunate things I came across in my limited research was that the temperment of the puffer seems to drastically change for the worse as it matures (4+ inches). You could have no problems for the first year or two (they seem to grow slowly from what I've read) and then suddenly have your puffer attacking the mono. I won't discourage you from it, but just realize a hard choice might come down the road when you are attached to it (ie get rid of it or get a separate tank just for the puffer).

yes you can

yes you can house a puffer in a 10 gallon tank tomorrow i will be buying a puffer to put in my 10 gallon tank the puffer will have plenty of room i know people who has full grown 6 inch jack dempsey in a 10 gallon tanks years old so i know a puffer can do great have a nice day and enjoy

Thank you severum, I handt found that yet, but will continue to research. Worst case secenario (that makes it sound like I wouldnt want to buy another tank...LOL) I buy a tank for the mono and find some compatible fish for her, and keep my puffer by himself. I wont say that I've read everything, but what I did read is that their agression is geared mainly to their own species, while they are not as bad to the others...I will continue to research this, as well as tank size and what not. So as to provide the best habitat and utmost quality of care for him. They say he's a hard fishie to take care of...which I can imagine...he eats live food...that will be the expensive part...LOL

7Enigma said:
papa_bear_21 said:

**EDIT**

One of the unfortunate things I came across in my limited research was that the temperment of the puffer seems to drastically change for the worse as it matures (4+ inches). You could have no problems for the first year or two (they seem to grow slowly from what I've read) and then suddenly have your puffer attacking the mono. I won't discourage you from it, but just realize a hard choice might come down the road when you are attached to it (ie get rid of it or get a separate tank just for the puffer).

crushingmyself said:
yes you can house a puffer in a 10 gallon tank tomorrow i will be buying a puffer to put in my 10 gallon tank the puffer will have plenty of room i know people who has full grown 6 inch jack dempsey in a 10 gallon tanks years old so i know a puffer can do great have a nice day and enjoy

Well, I am going to try to keep the puffer with atleast one other fish, but cant make any promises on how long it will last...I am going to look into a 55+ tank for them...maybe he wont eat his friends...

Re: yes you can

crushingmyself said:

You have a lot to learn..... :bawl:

Thank you severum, I handt found that yet,
Well don't thank me! I was no help here. :p

It is clear that you like puffers a lot, we've talked about this before. If you already have that 10 gallon, why not do a dwarf puffer tank? You can keep 2-3 of them in there as long as the tank is heavily planted (which is another new and fun challenge unto itself), plus they are strictly FW so you don't have to worry about going brackish. In fact, you could even seed the filter with media from your 29, and you'd cycle in under a week.:)

A Jack Dempsey grows a good bit larger than 6 inches when properly housed. Sure, you can keep fish in tanks much too small for them- but they will be stunted, miserable, and prone to disease; and will ultimately have a shorter lifespan as a result.

Back
Top Bottom