Green spotted puffers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cichlidman2

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
The other day I bought 3 green spotted puffers from Petco. I keep them in a 29 gal tank with 3 bamboo shrimp right now. I'm aware they eventually need to be in brackish water, but how long will it be before then?

I dont know much about puffers, but im pretty sure the shrimp will become an expensive snack soon.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I kept mine in freshwater till they were about two inches in length. I had them for about a year. Everything I could find about their natural transition in the wild said that was about the size they are when they head out to more brackish and then full marine. Once I moved them they got more active and they colored up a lot.

Green Spotted Puffer

You don't say anything about the size or age of your puffers but I would go ahead and add a bit of marine salt. For instance if you do a water change of 5 gallons, add maybe a cup of salt to the 5 gal bucket being sure to mix the salt well. You can use a powerhead in a bucket and allow it to mix for a number of hours before adding if you would like. Buy a hydrometer also. You can keep these guys for a couple years at 1.006-1.010 but when they are say 3 inches or so you may want to begin increasing the salinity over time.
I have a gsp that is about 4 years old--he is at 1.012 and I am raising him to full marine salinity.
Another thing--you may be able to keep 3 of them in a 29 for a while but as they mature they may become very aggressive to one another. Mine lives alone in a 20 gallon high which is actually a bit small--he will be getting a new tank in the future. Puffs also require over-filtration and regular water changes as they are messy eaters and poopers.

Back
Top Bottom