Green Tank Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_Desacrator

Aquarium Advice FINatic
The water in my 60g has turned green. I tried water changes and covering the tank withh a blanket but nothing seems to work. Can anyone help me?

How long did you cover it. Starving the algae for light should work.

What are you water readings?

Ammonia, NO2, NO3?

Is the tank getting direct sunlight?

I'd cut back some on how many hours you got it on.
Another option for free floating algea is a UV sterilizer. It will not kill anything growing on the surfaces but would help with the green water.

with the finnex 24/7 you can reduce the intensity of the light. do that and reduce the time you have it on down to say 6-8 hours. also get more plants in the tank to soak up nutrients. floating plants or something easy like anubias will help alot. no need to go buy an expensive uv light or use unnecessary chemicals.

Floaters are a great addition to any tank and can definitely help soak up extra nutrients. Red root, frogbit, dwarf water lettuce and floating ferns are all great. Some people also chuck in floating hornwort if you like the look of that.

I'd suggest steering clear of duckweed or salvinia minima unless you like really aggressive, fast growing floaters that are impossible to get rid of. The latter is also invasive in a lot of places, so you have to make sure you are destroying the excess well.

You can keep floaters in place and allow light into the tank by using a piece of airline, made into a hoop with a coupler and just floating it where you don't want the plants to be.

No. You should find the root cause of the algae and fix it. Adding more ferts is only going to worsen the problem. Green water is going to be due to excess lights or excess nutrients. Put the plants in and reduce your lighting.

Back
Top Bottom