Green Tank Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bubleguppy_2013

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok my ph levels were high extremly high so I did a 25% water change and went to the store to get ph fizzlers my lps was out of ph down so I had to get this. So I added correct ph and start zyme and look what happened to my tank!

ForumRunner_20120810_223751.jpg
Water change or is this normal?!

I think most will suggest at least a 50% water change to correct your water parameters instead of chems. When you say high Ph what are you exactly talking about? Most say that it's best to have a steady Ph than to try to lower or raise it. Were your other tests good; 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, <40 nitrates? Is the tank cycled?

Your ammonia must be just as high. Do weekly 50% water changes. Do you have fish in that freaking thing? Get a lot of snails and such to eat the algae too as long as your ammonia isn't deadly high. Snails love that stuff.LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Shellieca has a point. Keep in mind that 40 for nitrites is still really high. My petco manual says even 25 is a bit high. 20 is safe.

Check your ammonia/nitrites bro! I found a link to this really good stuff I've been using called special blend. I'll put it up for you right away. For rid of my ammonia instantly (but smells awful)

What are your parameters? All of them?

I wouldn't add any chemicals rather do it naturally. Raising and lowering your pH fast like that will stress your fish. You want to do it slowly...

I would do a 50% water change and wait a little while and then test again. Stability is the key with pH the fluctuation is what you don't want.

How high is high anyway? And how did it get high? Have you tested your tap water?

Water changes are key even if there back to back. I'd stay away from chemicals if you can.

shellieca said:
That'd be my guess & you can see fish in the upper left corner of the tank.

Yeah I just sent her this link to ammonia ridding bacteria I used when my goldfish was KILLING it (my mistake putting goldfish in a 10, LOL)

Bobjoefredsky said:
Yeah I just sent her this link to ammonia ridding bacteria I used when my goldfish was KILLING it (my mistake putting goldfish in a 10, LOL)

... Fish don't produce anything that kills bacteria. They produce ammonia. The "bacteria in a bottle" rarely actually has bacteria in it, or the correct bacteria. There are a few exceptions, but the one you linked isn't one. It's important to know the actual parameters before assuming, in any case.

The poster referring to <40 specified nitrAtes, not nitrites. Very different.

Also - rather than repeatedly making 2-3 posts in a row, you can always EDIT your post to add more information.

Okay well my ph levels were perfect last night I have the api freshwater test kit and it was darker then 7.6 and my ammonia was perfect. And same with my nitartes and nitrites. Its just the water that's green. There's nothing on the tank and I have an algae eater and albino cory catfish(lps said they keep tanks clean) I did a 25% water change and its less green but ph level went bac up and I used dechlor. I hae a filter for a 40 gal in my 20.

bubleguppy_2013 said:
Okay well my ph levels were perfect last night I have the api freshwater test kit and it was darker then 7.6 and my ammonia was perfect. And same with my nitartes and nitrites. Its just the water that's green. There's nothing on the tank and I have an algae eater and albino cory catfish(lps said they keep tanks clean) I did a 25% water change and its less green but ph level went bac up and I used dechlor. I hae a filter for a 40 gal in my 20.

That's good to hear. More green will go bye bye with future water changes.

Back
Top Bottom