Green-water :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Definitely buy your own test kit. But I'd skip the algae destroyer. You need to find the root problem otherwise you'll be using it on a regular basis.

Test water.

DON"T use chemicals to destroy the green water. It's a last resort and a bad one, doesn't get to the root of the problem. It's only a temporary solution and the algae that returns can be algaecide resistant.

Carbon and ammonia remover can both filter media help remove nutrients that algae needs but will only help a little.

Do 20-25% water changes weekly.

Consider adding a second filter since the fish you have produce LOTS of waste.

Consider putting the largest of the Koi in a pond. They are pond fish and can get up to 3 feet long, too many in a tank can stunt their growth which is a really bad idea.

A second filter and/or reducing the bioload (fish) may be what it takes to get the water perimeters in check and keep them that way.

Give it time, it should clear up on it's own when the water perimeters get straighten out.

Keep testing the water.

p3purr hit is right on the head. There are all sorts of chemcials you can add to the tank to mask the ultimate problem, but it won't be a cure. A regular water change schedule, keeping direct and indirect sunlight off the tank, and proper tank maintenance will keep the algae away. Adding chemicals and whatnot will just increase your tank upkeep costs.

like i said i have had this problem i dont like to add things in the tank to fix a problem. but if your test comes back that your water is ok just use the algae destroyer advanced it will fix your problem with only one treatment and you will be happy it will not come back i know ive used it

I'm glad fishyfanatic mentioned lights and keeping a minimum of sunlight on the tank. Since it's a fish only tank it really doesn't need light except when you want to watch the fish. You can put a small lamp with a low wattage CF on a timer near the tank if you feel they need light or if you want some ambient light on the tank after dark (fish won't startle when you turn on the tank light when it's dark.

like i said i have had this problem i dont like to add things in the tank to fix a problem. but if your test comes back that your water is ok just use the algae destroyer advanced it will fix your problem with only one treatment and you will be happy it will not come back i know ive used it

The tank probably isn't going to test normal for everything. Time and the other suggestions that were made should correct the problem after the blackout. We don't know how much light was on the tank before, unless I missed something.

Speaking of missing something, I went back to check an earlier post and missed the adding of the HOB. Sorry. Don't know how Koi do with too much water flow.

When you do the testing the PH, nitrites and nitrates also have your LFS check for KH, GH and (as fishyfanatic said before) phosphate. That will let you know if you should purchase KH, GH and/or phosphate tests in addition to the PH, nitrate and nitrite tests.

the black out wont work you have floating algae in your tank. your tank sould test normal. ours did when this happened. change some water change your carbon and add ALGAE DESTROYR ADVANCED you will fix this lil problem. its not a big deal.

If the water has suspended algae there is most likely an excess of phosphates since that is what causes algae. The phosphate level needs to be reduced or eliminated to cure the problem. I'm not saying that it didn't work for you, but not every tank is the same. We try to eliminate the problem without adding chemicals to the tank. IMO chemicals should be used as a final last resort.

Tamra&steven, I realize that a blackout did not work in your situation to get rid of Green Water and that there weren't any negative effects when you used the Algae Destroyer Advanced. This does not necessarily mean that that everyone else will experiance the same results.

For many people a blackout does cure Green Water. The key is to perform the blackout properly. Which means making sure that no light is getting in (make sure don't assume that blanket is thick enough), no peaking, no feeding the fish, making sure it is long enough (for some algae 3 days is enough, but for others 5 or more days may be necessary), and performing a larger water change before and after.

Chemicals designed to kill algae aren't always effective and sometimes can be very dangerous. Depending on the amount of algae killed, it can lead to a large Ammonia spike which is dangerous to the fish and can cause another outbreak of Green Water. Even worse, in planted aquariums they'll often hurt the plants as well since plants and algae are very similar.

Well that explained that - I am thinking that most of the stuff you see for sale on the shelves of the lfs are not really needed - from what I gather - a good water test kit - a good dechlorinate - and a well cycled tank seems to be all i really need

For many people a blackout does cure Green Water. The key is to perform the blackout properly. Which means making sure that no light is getting in (make sure don't assume that blanket is thick enough), no peaking, no feeding the fish, making sure it is long enough (for some algae 3 days is enough, but for others 5 or more days may be necessary), and performing a larger water change before and after.

Just making sure, I should not feed my fish during the blackout?

Well, I'm taking off the covers tomorrow and doing a water change too. So I'm not sure as yet if the blackout worked yet. :S
I had the green water for about 3 weeks or so.

Did a 50% change, after the Blackout. There is some difference but there still is a lil bit of a green tinge to it, when i take out some water, and look at it in a white cup :p

So I would say that the blackout was somewhat effective.

Back
Top Bottom